Force Feeding,

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by StandardLover, Jun 30, 2011.

1. StandardLover

StandardLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    I have a sick Silkie right now. She wont eat, or drink. Is it okay to force feed her? If so, how should I prepare the food?

2. PAchickenlover

PAchickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    Heard alot of people talk about making mash out of their food and gaterade and using a syringe.

3. pawsplus

pawsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    Chix are easy to forcefeed, actually. Syringe water in, but it's actually easier to feed solid food. Anything that gets to the back of the throat will automatically be swallowed, so just choose things that are on the softer side and that are no bigger than a pea.

Peas (cooked), actually, work great. High in protein, etc. and easy to get down. Other ideas: small pieces of hamburger (I use raw); black beans (cooked/canned); mealworms (if you can stand it). Even layer pellets can work. I add hot water and let them soak just long enough to soften them up a bit but not so much that they turn to mush.

Instructions (for right handers--reverse for left): Put towel on lap (under left arm) and chicken on top of towel. Wrap ends of towel around chicken to keep wings in so she'll feel immobilized (you will need both your hands). With left hand, gently squeeze sides of beak w/ hand over top of head. Have food item in R hand ready to go. When mouth opens, pop food item into back of mouth using thumb and forefinger. Release head. They swallow automatically when the food hits the back. Repeat, repeat, repeat.

It's a little time-consuming, but it works great. Do 3-4X a day in small amounts for best results. And if the chicken isn't drinking, be sure to syringe in water whenever you feed, as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by