"forcing" to go broody?

I have two silkies for broodies. Most of my Buff Orps go broody on and off without any help too. I'm usually fighting the broodiness during peak seasons. Good luck.

Yes you can make a hen go broody. There are several threads on here about it from the past.

I have done this many of times and it does work, its not a 100%, but it can and does work.

You put the hen in a box[with air holes] or a small pen that is completely dark with some eggs or golf balls, let her in that box or pen, let her/take her out once a day to eat, drink and poo and then put her back in. It may take a few days, but she should go broody.

Not all will agree with me on this, but it does work, I have done it many times with some of my hens. I have a few hens that will not sit on eggs for nothing, that is why I say its not 100%, but for most hens this works for me.

Thanks! I am really hoping for broodies in spring. Maybe now if it's not too late?
My 2 juvinile silkies sleep with Mama and her chicks, maybe they are good candidates. Although, one night when mama was still sitting and got locked out of her cage she sat on the silkies
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom