Forgot to stop turning!!

KB031311

Chirping
Apr 19, 2020
Hey all!!! My incubator has a setting that automatically stops turning 2 days before and I guess I selected the wrong setting!! They are due to hatch tomorrow and I just realized this am they were still being turned ! I turned off the turning! Do u think they will make it ?! I'm so upset and beating myself up!

From my understanding it won’t hurt them at all to be turned right up till they pip. Humidity is the one I stress over to make sure it stays high enough.
Don’t worry about the egg turner. I’m sure they are just fine:)

From my understanding it won’t hurt them at all to be turned right up till they pip. Humidity is the one I stress over to make sure it stays high enough.
Don’t worry about the egg turner. I’m sure they are just fine:)
The only reason to stop turning the eggs with a turner is to prevent the chick from getting caught in the turning action.

The only reason to stop turning the eggs with a turner is to prevent the chick from getting caught in the turning action.
This is not true. You stop turning eggs to let them get into position to hatch this is called lockdown but they can still hatch if still turning. But recommended to stop turning and put them in lockdown with a higher humidity and some lower temp a degree to help hatching. Depending on what kind of turner you have depends on if you remove it or just turn it off.

Try not to beat yourself up, mistakes happen. I’ve been hatching for years and have made many mistakes along the way. Mother Nature isn’t perfect and you don’t have to be either. The chicks will be fine, I’ve known a number of people who have finished incubating eggs from under a broody hen so they kept turning them until they popped because they didn’t know how long they’d been sat and and all was fine! Good luck! So exciting!!!

Hey all!!! My incubator has a setting that automatically stops turning 2 days before and I guess I selected the wrong setting!! They are due to hatch tomorrow and I just realized this am they were still being turned ! I turned off the turning! Do u think they will make it ?! I'm so upset and beating myself up!
Time will tell but I have done that myself and ended up with healthy birds. Personally I determine the time to stop turning eggs by candling them once a day in the last five days. When I see shadowing indicating internal piping I move them to lock down I find that particularly important for goose eggs. I also sometimes choose to clear out a nest and put all the eggs in the incubator. In those cases of course I don’t know exactly when they will hatch so I rely on my observations. In any case what’s done is done so don’t worry about it. People do make mistakes after all all.

Time will tell but I have done that myself and ended up with healthy birds. Personally I determine the time to stop turning eggs by candling them once a day in the last five days. When I see shadowing indicating internal piping I move them to lock down I find that particularly important for goose eggs. I also sometimes choose to clear out a nest and put all the eggs in the incubator. In those cases of course I don’t know exactly when they will hatch so I rely on my observations. In any case what’s done is done so don’t worry about it. People do make mistakes after all.

Back
Top Bottom