Fortifying the coop & protecting the flock

Cherylandderick

In the Brooder
Oct 17, 2021
Hi all,
First time chicken owner and the girls are about a week away from needing to go outside due to size. We purchased a used coop that is quite well closed up and predator proof - with the exception of the entrance for the chickens. It does sit about 2 feet off the ground, but there is a ramp for them to get up to the entrance. My problem lies within the size of the entrance - it’s appx. 12”x12”, and I cannot for the life of me find a door that will fit. Any suggestions? We do plan on having the run connect to that side of the coop, but I would really feel better with a door as well. Thank you!!

Aren't you handy with tools? Making a door is very easy. All it requires is a saber saw to cut out a piece of 1/2" plywood measuring 11 1/2 inches square, mount a pair of metal cabinet hinges on one side and screw the door to the 12 inch entrance. Get any sort of locking mechanism you wish, slide bolt, padlock hasp, etc. and mount that, and you have a secure door.

:welcome :frow All of my coops have pop doors. Some slide up and down and some are on hinges. These are older pictures but the pop doors are the same. Good luck and have fun...
These slide up and down.
IMG_2919.JPG

This is my chick/grow-out coop. Now I have electric wires around it with good heavy duty netting covering the pen and concrete under the gates. Now there is another pop door on the other side of the coop identical to this one and a smaller pen on the other side too.
IMG_2779.JPG

IMG_20190302_104940.jpg

This coop was given to me. When I want to shut the pop door I just lift the ramp up which is on hinges.
2014-05-28 17.09.41.jpg

Aren't you handy with tools? Making a door is very easy. All it requires is a saber saw to cut out a piece of 1/2" plywood measuring 11 1/2 inches square, mount a pair of metal cabinet hinges on one side and screw the door to the 12 inch entrance. Get any sort of locking mechanism you wish, slide bolt, padlock hasp, etc. and mount that, and you have a secure door.
Thank you!! Super helpful!!

:welcome :frow All of my coops have pop doors. Some slide up and down and some are on hinges. These are older pictures but the pop doors are the same. Good luck and have fun...
These slide up and down.
View attachment 2911959
This is my chick/grow-out coop. Now I have electric wires around it with good heavy duty netting covering the pen and concrete under the gates. Now there is another pop door on the other side of the coop identical to this one and a smaller pen on the other side too.
View attachment 2911962
View attachment 2911983

This coop was given to me. When I want to shut the pop door I just lift the ramp up which is on hinges.
View attachment 2911981
Thanks!! I will have my husband figure out how to put our ramp on hinges! 😂

Back
Top Bottom