Foul pox!

Ilovechickens119

Chirping
Apr 4, 2019
Hi all I have a flock of four bantams and one has a few strange yellow-ish bumps on her comb, I’m pretty sure it’s dry foul pox. Shall I quarantine her in a different coop from the others to stop it spreading? If so, for how long?
Thanks!

I don't quarantine for pox unless the bird is very ill and at risk of being hurt by the others. It's usually transmitted by mosquito's and likely your others have already been exposed. While it can be spread by the scabs when they drop off, I've not found it to be horribly contagious. Keep feeders and waterers clean, general cleanliness is always better. It usually runs it's course with no real issues, wet pox is more serious. If any of the lesions/bumps are near an eye, just keep an eye on those, sometimes it can cause a secondary bacterial infection in the eye, but that doesn't always happen. If it does you can use terramycin eye ointment or plain neosporin in the eye. Just keep an eye on her, make sure she continues to eat and drink normally.

I don't quarantine for pox unless the bird is very ill and at risk of being hurt by the others. It's usually transmitted by mosquito's and likely your others have already been exposed. While it can be spread by the scabs when they drop off, I've not found it to be horribly contagious. Keep feeders and waterers clean, general cleanliness is always better. It usually runs it's course with no real issues, wet pox is more serious. If any of the lesions/bumps are near an eye, just keep an eye on those, sometimes it can cause a secondary bacterial infection in the eye, but that doesn't always happen. If it does you can use terramycin eye ointment or plain neosporin in the eye. Just keep an eye on her, make sure she continues to eat and drink normally.
Thank you so much for this, that’s a relief - I feel awful separating her from the others! Fingers crossed it goes away soon but she seems well in herself. I’ll keep an eye on her. :)

Back
Top Bottom