Fowl Pox?

SwampPrincessChick

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Oct 30, 2022
The Swamp
This is my Buff-Laced Polish pullet, Spring, who is about over eight months old. She developed strange bumps on her face and legs, which only showed up yesterday. There is about one bump on each side of her face that is blocking half of her nostril, but she is breathing normally. Overall, Spring is acting normal (for a Polish, that is). None of the bumps seem to be blocking her vision.

Spring is in a flock of two other Buff-Laced Polish pullets named Summer and Autumn, along with a Buff-Laced Polish cockerel named Winter. There is also Slate, the Blue Cochin Bantam cockerel, and April, the Blue Easter Egger Bantam pullet. All of them are fine, but Summer looks like she may be getting bumps on her legs.

I believe this is fowl pox, but please inform me if it isn't.

Screenshot_20231120-115813_Textra.jpg

Screenshot_20231120-115816_Textra.jpg

Screenshot_20231120-115818_Textra.jpg

Thank you! I forgot to add that I checked yesterday and her mouth was fine. I didn't know fowl pox could grow on the legs, though.
It can!
For the legs I'd be inclined to paint Iodine on those scabs. For the face/around the beak, avoiding the eyes, you can put iodine on those too - remember to paint or dab the Iodine, don't rub as to disturb the scabs.

It can!
For the legs I'd be inclined to paint Iodine on those scabs. For the face/around the beak, avoiding the eyes, you can put iodine on those too - remember to paint or dab the Iodine, don't rub as to disturb the scabs.
I assume the iodine would kill all of the fowl pox germs? But wouldn't that burn the chicken and hurt them?

I assume the iodine would kill all of the fowl pox germs? But wouldn't that burn the chicken and hurt them?
Iodine can help dry the scabs up.
You can use Povidone Iodine if you wish. I've never had a problem with either one burning my skin nor for using it on my animals but use your own judgement.

I got to deal with it a year ago but the spots on the face were just black spots and never were that big, it will run it's course and then they will be ok.
You can't always count on "and then they will be ok." Last year, I had several fowl pox and coccidiosis outbreaks and almost everyone who had it died.

Update: Spring's fowl pox is beginning to heal by crusting over, and it's looking smaller.

Back
Top Bottom