Found a baby chick and need advice

Is this chick a pullet or rooster?

• Pullet

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Rooster

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Thank you for all the input guys. It really helps me out. I came here to learn more on how to take better care of the chick for now. I will be looking into rehoming him/her since I don’t think I’ll be able to host more friends for him/her. I want to make sure I give the chick to someone who give her a good life. I won’t be giving him/her lettuce.

Thank you for all the input guys. It really helps me out. I came here to learn more on how to take better care of the chick for now. I will be looking into rehoming him/her since I don’t think I’ll be able to host more friends for him/her. I want to make sure I give the chick to someone who give her a good life. I won’t be giving him/her lettuce.

I hope it all works out well and you make the best decision for yourself and the chick. Good luck :)

Not sure if it needs grit with lettuce.
Yes, if you feed lettuce then it will need grit with it. The gizzard grinds down food using grit, if there's no grit then it can't grind and digest the food. The lettuce will remain whole and if it's in big pieces, it can impact the intestines. So there's nothing wrong with feeding lettuce at this age per se, the chick just needs access to grit for digestion.

P.S. If the chick was out in the field foraging with its mom like hen-raised chicks are, it would be pecking at grass and everything else by now, but the mom would also teach it to eat grit.

It likely ran away from home. I've had chicks get startled and run off and can't find their way home because they haven't yet imprinted on and oriented them to their surroundings.

I would probably go door to door in the immediate vicinity of where you found it to see if anyone is missing one. It couldn't have wandered far. I'm sure they would be grateful.
I know it is cute, but you are taking on a lot of responsibility if you plan on keeping it. You'll need more chickens and an appropriate coop long before you realize it. They grow very fast.
You could probably just walk your neighborhood and look for coops in backyards.

One of my latest flock members was a chicken wandering our street. We spent days asking people and putting flyers in letterboxes and ringing vets but no one claimed her. She is now happy with her new flock.

All the best for your chick.

Update on this chicken! I dropped him off at a family friends farm. We found out it’s a he! He is living an awesome life now alongside many other chickens.

Attachments

• 2469DD4C-42F6-4F49-9B0E-776E27938778.jpeg
    2469DD4C-42F6-4F49-9B0E-776E27938778.jpeg
    145.8 KB · Views: 12

Back
Top Bottom