Found a baby pheasant chick - please help!

Should I have left her to die?
No, ignore the people telling you to do that, they have no empathy.
You did the right thing.
Ringneck pheasants were introduced to the United States from China for hunting. As exotic species they have no legal protections and can be kept as pets.

She needs heat, gamebird crumble, a mirror and a stuffed toy for company and would do best with another chick of any kind as being alone will stunt her social development.

I should have said I'm in the UK where pheasants aren't considered a protected wild bird, in fact around here they are often shot for sport.

I've popped her in a small cardboard box with a hot water bottle for now, and going to the feed store to see if they have suitable feed for her.

I should have said I'm in the UK where pheasants aren't considered a protected wild bird, in fact around here they are often shot for sport.

I've popped her in a small cardboard box with a hot water bottle for now, and going to the feed store to see if they have suitable feed for her.
Haha that helps! Are you going to keep her?

Ahh, totally my bad in this case. I thought you were in the US! I was just mainly worried about the legality of it. :bow

I'm so sorry, only realised after posting that this isn't a UK based site. I'm heading to the store now, any tips for what i should keep her in whilst she's still so small?
Again, the pheasant page in this forum will probably have a few more knowledgeable members, but keeping her warm (hot water bottle should be okay for now if she is decently feathered, I have little pheasant experience but she doesn't look fresh out of the egg by any means.) A stuffed animal would help too for her to snuggle by, and keep her in a draftees enclosure in a quiet, dim room (a mini brooder made of a large plastic tub is what I have used in the past.) Feed such as Manna Pro game bird starter (28 percent protein) is probably what you should aim for, although I don't know if UK brands are different. Dip her beak in the water container (which should be shallow) and make sure she knows what it is for.

Found a baby pheasant chicken whilst on a dog walk. Seems to be okay, looked (without dogs) and couldn't find the nest. Have brought her home - what do I need to do to keep her alive? Any help or advice much appreciated!
People are saying gamebird crumble, but it's a wild bird right? Baby pheasants need a diet that is high in protein. In the wild, their initial diet will be animal based for the first four weeks, with grubs, insects, caterpillars, and worms forming the largest share of their food source. I'd suggest going to a pet/reptile store to purchase bugs, such as small crickets.

People are saying gamebird crumble, but it's a wild bird right? Baby pheasants need a diet that is high in protein. In the wild, their initial diet will be animal based for the first four weeks, with grubs, insects, caterpillars, and worms forming the largest share of their food source. I'd suggest going to a pet/reptile store to purchase bugs, such as small crickets.
This post is from two years ago now and OP hasn’t been back since.

Back
Top Bottom