found a baby pigeon...UPDATE! Might have crop slow-down help!

bock

Songster
11 Years
Oct 10, 2008
Northern CA
I was out side a few minutes ago and my lab dropped something out of her mouth. I went over to look, and it was a baby pigeon. I took it away and went to look in the shed for a nest were some of our rebel homers sometimes make nests. I found the nest, but the parents got scared and flew away. I went back to the grass, and my dog spits out ANOTHER baby! I take them both inside, and the first one had a puncture near its hip and you could see blood flowing under its skin. Sadly, the first pigeon passed away.
sad.png
But I made a paper towel nest for the other baby and put warmed up rice underneath it. It is content now, but the rice wont stay warm all night. I have an incubator I could put it in, or I could put it in the barn with the heat lamp, but I was wondering if there were any other options. I don't have any food either, but I am going to try and return it tomorrow and put a gate in front of the shed. Anyways, thank you, we REALLY need your help!
smile.png

Last edited:
Oh I am glad you're trying. I know that someone with more experience than I with pigeons will help soon.
I'm going through something similar tonight with a Great Egret and already received valuable help.
Hope it's OK!

Last edited:
We started feeding our find baby cereal... But then went and found a baby formula for birds... It was totally worth it...Those ugly little babies turn into loyal beautiful adult... Enjoy your new lifemate... they are fun.

imho, unless you want to be really dedicated to this thing for the next couple weeks (wake up every few hours to feed etc) and then have a very tame pigeon hanging around, the best thing you could do is humanely euthanise. I wouldn't let the homers foster it, even a wild baby can carry some nasty diseases. If you do want to dedicate a good chunk of your life to the fluffless ball of pigeon, then take it inside and put it under either a heat mat or heat light, if you have an old aquarium w/ a reptile heat mat underneath thats perfect, keep it warm, feed it w/e other people say to every 3-4 hours. I hink the ideal temp. is 95, but i'd just watch it, it may need to be a little warmer. and in 4 weeks, very tame rock dove. If you decide to euthanise i can tell you how to be very humane about it. i really wouldn't suggest keeping it.

Thanks everyone! 95yj, thanks for your advice, but I think I want to give it a chance, and BTW it is my homing pigeons' baby. I posted a more detailed reply in the pets and livestock section, but I forgot about the double posting rule.
hide.gif
Anyways thank you, he is doing well!

Heat lamps or heating pads are best for keeping them warm. Has the parents excepted them back yet? Stick them back up in the nest and all should be okay. How old are the babies?

I think he is about 4 days old.
smile.png
I fed him about an hour ago, and he gulped it all down fast! The problem with the parents is they made their nest on the ground where our dog or something else would just come right back and eat him. So I tried to put the nest in an old litter box and put it on top of the book shelf, but I messed the nest up pretty bad. Now every time I go near the shed the parents fly away, and I don't even know if they would accept him back in the new location. It is raining here, and I am afraid if I put him in there they won't come back for a long time and he will freeze. I will keep trying, but if it doesn't work out, I will raise him myself.

But for now, how often should I feed him? It has been about an hour since I fed him last, and it seems like he will need to be fed again in about another hour. Thank you everyone!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom