Found a baby rabbit

awww what a cutie!

just thought i would post this tip to anyone who is reading and has themselves in need of bottle feeding an orphaned animal.
babies who are syringe fed can unintentionally be killed when people feeding them get the milk into there nose or into there lungs.
how to prevent this:

use the thinest syringe for the animal smaller is better then larger do not use an eye dropper unless it has a thin tip or fits comfortably in the animals mouth dont expect the animal to lick at the eye dropper tip. a freind of mine found a squirrle and tried useing an eye dropper to feed it but the eye dropper tip was large enough to squirt milk into the babies nose and killed it.

NEVER squirt fluid into the mouth as it could be inhaled and it does not take much to cause death or even a respertory infection.
instead put the syring in the animals mouth on the tounge and add one drop then wait for them to swallow then add another drop and wait this is a longer procedure BUT you prevent accedental inhalation of the milk.

and less is better think about it this way your stomach is about the size of your fist
now imagine the size of a baby animals stomach VERY tiny! even if the baby is quite thin and weak use small amounts of food too much food can kill a baby so even though your tempted to feed them alot dont. less is more

hope this can help someone

This baby rabbit is too old to be bottle fed and is old enough to be on its own! I know it may not seem like it because of how adorable it is, but that is the truth. Yes, it may be small but they are built to survive and these little buggers are FAST! Please, if you really want this baby to live, release it before it becomes too attached to human interaction.

He's off the bottle for almost a week now. And He'll just get eaten outside? Why not just leave him with me where he'll always have food and safety. He's way too attached to people at this point anyhow.

Because the wild is where it was born and where it belongs. This is NOT a domestic rabbit and wild rabbits are nowhere near domestic rabbits when it comes to living in captivity. I've raised enough baby rabbits to know this. Young rabbits are most active in the evening/night/early morning. I've had them wake me up in the middle of the night from jumping around there cage wanting to get out and explore. And you know what happened when I didn't let them? They ended up hurting themselves. And eaten by what? Snakes? Hawks? maybe a cat? Unfortunately nature is like this and if this rabbit is meant to live it will.

its a rabbit for goodness sake not an edangerd species its not as though this one needs to be set free to repopulate whats the big deal?

They are wild and do not make good pets.

http://hopline.org/rabbit-health-and-care/what-do-i-do-if-i-find-a-wild-rabbit/

Can I keep a wild bunny as a pet? Or care for it until it can be released back into the wild?

No. It is illegal to care for or keep any wild animal – even baby bunnies – unless you are licensed with your state’s Department of Environmental Protection.
Wild rabbits are one of the most difficult species to rehabilitate. The suffering of all orphaned and injured wildlife should be kept to an absolute minimum. Not knowing how to rehabilitate them will only exacerbate their suffering. And although there are books on the subject, many that you will find in stores and libraries are extremely out-of-date and filled with incorrect information. Following them will only make the situation worse.
It is cruel to keep a wild animal as a pet. They need much more room than a cage, and they need to be surrounded by others of their own kind. If you want a pet, there are thousands of abandoned animals living in shelters – you would be doing a very kind thing by adopting your next pet from a shelter or humane society.

The most helpful thing you can do is to bring injured or orphaned wildlife to an experienced rehabilitator as quickly as possible.

http://www.rabbitweb.net/wild-babies.asp

"After nursing them, you might be tempted to keep them as pets. Don't do this! Wild rabbits are meant to be free and do not make good pets. They are skittish, nervous, and can be very aggressive when mature. They do not deal well interacting with humans because they are very sensitive and can stress out quickly. It is also illegal to keep wild animals or game without the proper permit from the F&WS or your state Wildlife or Fish & Game department."

I have a friend that's a wildlife rehab and he had me fill out the paperwork Friday for a wildlife possession permit. He said it's way to people friendly to be safely released and if I'm not keeping it there's not much she can do other than use him as hawk food. He doesn't know of any wildlife rehabs around here that would do any different. He said with the approval from him the game commission should approve the permit. He said his daughter had several cottontails she rescued growing up. He said they aren't much different than a regular rabbit as far as diet but need a bigger cage and places to hide. They are more prone to stress issues but he said he has stress relieving vitamins he can give me if she gets too stressed out ever. I told him what you guys were saying on here and he said that the wild is way too glorified by people. In captivity an animal like a cottontail will flourish if certain conditions are met as they don't need to worry about enemies and have a unlimited supply of food. So that's coming from a professional. He said that with most wildlife he wouldn't approve of captivity because of danger to the public or too complex of a diet but he said cottontails although very different from domestic rabbits still require just about the said amount of care. He said he can get the rabbit vetted for me once I get the permit so I'm set on the rabbit situation.

Quote:
The big deal is the inhumanity of it. This sets a bad example to the rest of the public thinking that it is ok to keep wild animals as pets.

lishah2000, Well said.

duckncover, my final words to you: Good luck, however slim the chances. If things turn for the worse though, don't say you weren't warned.

Back
Top Bottom