Found a coop 4 sale - not sure if price is good

SparksNV

Songster
9 Years
Jun 13, 2010
Spanish Springs, NV
Hi:

New to site - great info - just ordered my "Raising Chickens for Dummies". Not quite ready for chickens yet. Found a coop for sale on craigslist - complete with 5 chickens, oyster shell, and feed - they offered roosters but I said no. They will transport to our area (4 hour drive). Cost $250. Here is a link:

http://reno.craigslist.org/grd/1737329943.html

Is this a good price?

I know I would still have to fence in for a run. Our weather is hot and dry in summer (temps up to 108 degrees), and windy. Winter is cold, below 32 degrees, snow, and windy.

Opinions?

TIA!

Carol

you need 4 square feet per standard size bird in your coop. That one is really small, especailly for 5 hens. For that price plus the money to move it you could make a much bigger coop or buy a nice shed and convert it.

It's very cute. If you could or were willing to rehome a few of the hens, then I think it would be worth it if you are constructionally challenged. But if you guys get cold winters, I wouldn't want 5 hens crammed into a 12 sq. ft. area myself...that's barely over 2 sq. feet each. I think you'd end up with serious bullying issues. You can make a small coop work in an area that stays fairly mild year round, as the chickens only go in to sleep or lay eggs. But in areas where the chickens may end up confined for days or weeks (either by owner or bird choice), more room is needed. Three birds would work okay in a coop that size...

If you haven't already, look for sheds on Craigslist, also. They can easily be converted into coops (we just finished ours), and it is nice to be able to walk in to clean, etc., especially on cold days. They can be pricey to transport, depending on the size, but maybe that can be a bartering tactic to get the price down!! Good luck
smile.png

I agree...for that price I would look for a used shed and modify it! You would get a lot more for your money!!
Quote:

Thanks for all the quick responses! From all of the replies I guess building a coop and run is less than $250 + $20 gas. The size is also too small. The chickens are bantums. I guess I will have to build my own. I have looked for a used shed but they are not very common to find - However, I will post in craigslist to see if I can find one.

Well, I don't think that's all that bad a deal, especially since 5 bantam chickens come with it. The transportation cost is minimal. Bantam eggs are just as tasty, they just take a few more to make a meal.
big_smile.png

Chances are they wouldn't spend all that much time inside the coop, mostly outside in a run. (And with bantams, you would for sure need to cover your run so hawks couldn't take off with them.)

If you're really handy, or even if you're marginally handy with tools, you COULD build a bigger coop for around that price. It would take research for plans, your tools, your mistakes, and provide you with wonderful learning experiences and pride of construction. Plus the time it takes to get it built.

However, you could always build a second coop after you've had that one for a while, and learned what you would like to do better, and all that stuff that others have done before you.
lol.png

If you have the need for instant gratification, go for it!

You know, I just reviewed the threads with building a coop and am feeling very overwhelmed. I am pretty handy around the house and garden but making stairs and rafters, etc. is beyond what I can do without help and guidance from someone who has the skills. I am good at reading and following directions, plans, and lists but coming up with all of this on my own is too much. Especially, given the climate we have here in northern Nevada.

I think I would rather buy the coop but I am just not ready for the coop plus chickens right this minute. I still need to do the run. I email the seller and told him I am not as prepared as I need to be & will contact him when I am & if it is still available I will make an offer.

thanks again

Back
Top Bottom