Found a dumped cockerel today

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Johnn, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    I took my dog on a walk a while ago and entered this woods and there was a cockerel right infront of me! I was a bit confused and then someone came up and said he's been here a while and they saw someone dump him. I went home and got a towel and some bread and went back and he was still there and he took bread out of my hand and everything! Once I got the chance I grabbed him, wrapped him in a towel and he is now home with me. I took him up to the hens and he is in my broody coop until I know what I'm doing. He was sooo hungry poor boy :(
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Poor boy! Good for you for rescuing him!

He appears to be a beautiful heritage type Rhode island Red, in case you were wondering about breed. [​IMG]

3. heiditam

heiditam Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2014
    What the?!!! :(

4. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Poor baby. So glad you found him, he looks like are real sweetie pie! Thank you. [​IMG]

5. Johnn

Sep 5, 2011
    He is everyone, thank you. I knew I wasn't going crazy when I saw chicken feathers on that walk last week!! My old cockerel is maybes going to a new home soon so I think I can keep him as long as he's nice. I have a little young cockerel so I hope they get on

6. Suzierd

Suzierd Overrun With Chickens

Aug 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Poor guy, he is so lucky you came along! He's a beauty John. So glad you saved him.

7. Johnn

Sep 5, 2011

8. Suzierd

Aug 8, 2011
    Oregon
    How is he doing?

9. Johnn

Sep 5, 2011
    He's good thanks for asking! He is still in a broody shed, but I have moved him into the bigger one. Things didn't go to plan about my old cockerel going to a new home last week, but we are getting back on track now, so just waiting for a date. I feel bad having him stuck in, but nothing else I can do :(. He will be out with the girls in a week or two hopefully. For entertainment, he is having crowing wars with my other cockerel. His crow is terrible though!
    [​IMG]

10. Suzierd

Aug 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Are you rehoming Bella's cockeral? He's a pretty boy I hope he stays nice for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by