found a good non toxic wormer

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by firem3, Nov 13, 2008.

1. firem3

firem3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2007
    Odenville Alabama
    Pig Swig by LaGear. I didnt see where anyone had ever tried this before but it was recommended by my Co-Op rep. He says he uses it and it works wonders and the best part that i found about it 1, its not toxic, 2, it only has a 72 hour period to not eat the eggs which would save alot of eggs depending on your situation. Just thought id let you know.

2. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Thanks for sharing!

3. Lee

Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Marion County, IN
  4. erthymom2

erthymom2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    "Pig Swig "

I love the name - it conjers up sooo many mental images!!

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Basically, it's the same thing as Wazine, from what I saw online. It will get roundworms, but not tapeworms, capillary worms, or gapeworm. Found this on a website:

Active Ingredients
    Each 100 mL or 3.33 fluid ounces contain 17 grams of Piperazine as Piperazine Monohydrochloride with preservatives, color and flavoring added.​

Last edited: Nov 13, 2008
  6. Lee

Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Marion County, IN
    Quote:
    Interesting! Thank you, Cynthia.

7. firem3

firem3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2007
    Odenville Alabama
    i called the company and they say it is safe for layer hens, and you have to wait for 72 hours to use the eggs, I dont know what the deal is could it be a lesser dose than wazine cause its my understanding that there is a long down time for eggs and it is toxic.

8. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    http://www.drugs.com/vet/pig-swig.html

fruit
    flavored piperazine. can't really call it non toxic, but it is a pretty tame dewormer, it has a large margin of safety for overdosing, and roundworms like to get resistant to it.

9. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    Thanks for info!!

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I found that Wazine has 34 grams piperazine as opposed to half dosage(17 grams) in Pig Swig. That's why the shorter downtime, however, will that get what you want? And it only treats roundworms in chickens, so you would miss other types. It's the same drug, but you pay more for it as "Pig Swig" which has half the potency. I'd say all chemical wormers are toxic.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by