Found a Guinea Keet

JewelBirds

Crowing
7 Years
Apr 13, 2017
Hello,

I found what I believe to be a guinea keet in my turkey hen pen. Any guesses to how old it is? Currently trying to locate owners and looking into finding companions as an alternative. Also what kind of feed do they need? Right now I only have 18% chick starter grower, but I'm going to the store later so I could pick something up so it has proper food for as long as it stays here.
It's outside now in a large dog cage with food and water.
20190830_160931.jpg

You can start it off like your other baby chicks. I can't get an accurate guess on age but it looks like it's on its way to becoming a juvenile (judging by estimated height, feather appearance, and the neckline- guineas get bald necks/heads). Probably a month old? Keets are usually striped and don't get their speckles for a while.

Last edited:
Hello,

I found what I believe to be a guinea keet in my turkey hen pen. Any guesses to how old it is? Currently trying to locate owners and looking into finding companions as an alternative. Also what kind of feed do they need? Right now I only have 18% chick starter grower, but I'm going to the store later so I could pick something up so it has proper food for as long as it stays here.
It's outside now in a large dog cage with food and water.
View attachment 1894030
Under four weeks old. It should still be on a turkey or gamebird starter. Chick feed does not meet the protein, lysine, methionine or niacin levels it should be getting.

You should check with your neighbors to see if they are missing it.

My guess would be around 4 weeks. The 18% chick grower will be okay until you either find the owner or decide to keep it. A turkey grower would be ideal. It should have at least 22 to 28% until it is full grown. The keet is at an age where they will fly any chance they get. This one just flew a little further than it should have. Glad you rescued it! ;)

Under four weeks old. It should still be on a turkey or gamebird starter. Chick feed does not meet the protein, lysine, methionine or niacin levels it should be getting.

You should check with your neighbors to see if they are missing it.
I've always started my guineas on chick started and switched when they got older. I'll be sure to look into proper starter in the future.

Currently trying to locate owners and looking into finding companions as an alternative.

On my way home from work I used to drive by a home that had a guinea and a peacock. The two were inseparable. The would cross the road together and even roost on the porch railing together. Hopefully you will find the owner(s).

Hey all,
Thank you for the replies and info. I did get the turkey/gamebird starter and it's in with a few of my turkey poults. As of today I did not find anyone s/he belongs to and have not found more of them.
I'm currently looking into getting 2-3 companions for it, that way if I ever do find where s/he came from, the one I get won't be alone.
Are guineas naturally unfriendly? Cause this isn't the nicest critter in the world. Very alert and hard to catch/handle.

Hey all,
Thank you for the replies and info. I did get the turkey/gamebird starter and it's in with a few of my turkey poults. As of today I did not find anyone s/he belongs to and have not found more of them.
I'm currently looking into getting 2-3 companions for it, that way if I ever do find where s/he came from, the one I get won't be alone.
Are guineas naturally unfriendly? Cause this isn't the nicest critter in the world. Very alert and hard to catch/handle.
Guinea keets can be tamed but it takes work. Start by just spending time with it without trying to catch it. Get as close to its level as you can. They instinctively fear anything approaching from above. Some are easier to tame than others. I had success by placing my hand at keet level with feed in my hand. It took a little while but they would approach and take feed from my hand and a few would even climb onto my hand to get the feed.

Grabbing or catching them sets off their predator instincts while letting them come to you does not.

In my experience they bond very quickly with turkeys.

Alright sounds like a good approach, thank you! Yeah s/he loves the turkeys, only problem is the turkeys are a bit wary of her/him. I'll see if I can even find any guineas (hard to find this time of year), otherwise the turkeys will hopefully become more friendly.

Back
Top Bottom