Found a hidden nest

NomadMik

Chirping
Apr 29, 2020
Two weeks ago we bought 3 new baby chicks. Today I found out that my hen started laying eggs in the bushes and was sitting out there every day. There are 13 eggs so she probably started this behavior when we first brought the chicks home.

The temp here in Phoenix has been going down to 48 degrees at night for the past two weeks. She has only been sitting on the eggs during the day because at night she goes back to the coop. I moved all 13 eggs to her nest up in the coop. If she continues to sit on them up there, will they hatch?

My rooster is a little Bantam and she is a Rhode Island Red. I think the chances of the eggs being fertilized is pretty slim.

is there any chance these eggs will hatch?

Two weeks ago we bought 3 new baby chicks. Today I found out that my hen started laying eggs in the bushes and was sitting out there every day. There are 13 eggs so she probably started this behavior when we first brought the chicks home.

The temp here in Phoenix has been going down to 48 degrees at night for the past two weeks. She has only been sitting on the eggs during the day because at night she goes back to the coop. I moved all 13 eggs to her nest up in the coop. If she continues to sit on them up there, will they hatch?

My rooster is a little Bantam and she is a Rhode Island Red. I think the chances of the eggs being fertilized is pretty slim.

Moving the eggs can break a broody. They often like to hide and sit on them because they feel secure and safe. Now that you've disturbed the nest she might not want to sit on them anymore (depending on how broody she was).

Keep her separated from the flock somehow. You can use a dog crate or playpen or something to do this.
Never underestimate a bantam rooster, I'd almost guarantee they're fertile. My 1 lb bantam roo has 100% fertility with my 11 lb Wyandotte hen.

Yeah, they will be fine, but she might not continue to sit on them.
Well I moved the eggs just now to one of her nests. She is the only hen and I have one rooster. I’m going to keep them in the 10x20 run tomorrow so she doesn’t go behind the bushes. Hopefully she’ll be ok with the eggs in the coop now.

Keep her separated from the flock somehow. You can use a dog crate or playpen or something to do this.
Never underestimate a bantam rooster, I'd almost guarantee they're fertile. My 1 lb bantam roo has 100% fertility with my 11 lb Wyandotte hen.
Luckily I only have one hen and one rooster so there is no competition or fighting.

The new baby chicks that we bought are in the bottom part of the coop with a heat lamp. The hen will peck them if I let her in there, so I keep them separate.

Luckily I only have one hen and one rooster so there is no competition or fighting.

The new baby chicks that we bought are in the bottom part of the coop with a heat lamp. The hen will peck them if I let her in there, so I keep them separate.
With only one hen and one rooster you'll have overbreeding issues. Roosters should have at least 5 hens per roo.

She has only been sitting on the eggs during the day because at night she goes back to the coop. I moved all 13 eggs to her nest up in the coop. If she continues to sit on them up there, will they hatch?
if she continues to sit on them, candle them a few days later. If they already started developing from her day time sitting, I doubt they would survive the nights, Brooding is 24/7 job aside from few 15 min breaks for food and drink.

Back
Top Bottom