Found a lighting solution for my small coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Fiwi, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Fiwi

Fiwi In the Brooder

Aug 3, 2010
    Maryland
    So I thought I'd share. At least I think it's a solution. I just ordered a set of LED Aqua Glow Lights by Hozelock Cyprio. Even though they are meant to be submerged in a pond, they don't have to be so they are perfect for outdoor use. My coop is small, and I'm worried about using a bulb that would produce heat. These LEDs will add light without the heat.

[​IMG]

This is the small coop I built. BTW, do you think I need a heat source (I live in Maryland)? The main housing and roof has insulation panels.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

If anyone else is interested, the lights are on sale here for $14.99. A great price! Save 10% more by using the coupon code "blog10"
    http://www.thepondoutlet.com/home/t.../led_aqua_glow_lights_by_hozelock_cyprio.html

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  2. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Songster

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    there is a big divide here on BYC about to heat a coop or not to heat...personally, I feel no need to do so. Mine have always been fine with a good wind block and a draft free roost area. I believe there is a thread from someone in Alaska that does not use heat in their coops, and their birds do fine. Nice lighting solution by the way!

3. goldtopper

goldtopper Songster

Oct 15, 2010
    Near Bert Blyleven
    I live in MN and I do not heat. Look at chickadees. They don't need no stinkeen heat and they have about 1/100th the body mass of a chicken.

4. gingernutranger

gingernutranger Songster

Aug 4, 2007
    Thanks for posting this! I have been looking for something looks this for a while!

5. quietlyscheming

quietlyscheming In the Brooder

Sep 12, 2011
    Crosby, TX
    I was thinking of using fluorescent bulbs but this is a great alternative that I didn't occur to me. Thanks. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by