Found a pile of feathers, 2 chickens missing!

Oh I'm so sorry about your chickens. I lost 6 of my hens. I think it was a fox. This is a great checklist to help determine what killed your chickens. I found piles of feathers and one dead chicken. I think the fox didn't make it back in time to get the others before the possum found a couple of them. I was too upset at the time to really examine the scene of the crime and now I wish I would have but it was dark when I got there...

http://www.avianaquamiser.com/posts/What_killed_my_chicken__63__/

I also was counting my chickens tonight and. Came up short 2 chickens. I looked around and saw only a pile of feathers. Thinkin a coyote, so I sat out with a shotgun to kill it. Sometimes hunting the predator is a good way to protect your flock

Fairly certain it was a hawk. I didn't catch him in the act, but with the wind and fresh pile of feathers, it was certainly within a few minutes of the attack that I arrived. I have a fenced yard and it's broad daylight. No dog could have gotten in, and foxes are rare in this area. I lock my chickens up every night. I lost a few to possums at night, but have had no losses since, except for ones missing during the day. This is the first trace of anything, so I'm almost sure it has been a hawk. They are very prevalent in this area, as well.

Back
Top Bottom