Found a rabbit under my porch this morning!

Pics

TwoShepherds

Crowing
Apr 4, 2019
Southeast TN
Look everyone! I can't believe what I found under our porch this morning after work!

My neighbors say they are not missing any rabbits. I've posted lost pet notifications on Craigslist and local FB pages, and later I will put up posters along our road. We are hoping to find the owners, but since it is so close to easter, I'm afraid that perhaps he was dumped or abandoned. Ideally, we will find his previous home--but if not, my 6-year-old has asked several times if he could have a pet rabbit, so we might contemplate keeping him....

Does any one have any tips for his temporary or permenant care?--right now he is in my broody-hen jail, which is obviously too small. Is it possible to tell how old he is? Anyone know if this is a recognizable breed? Any opinions on keeping a couple rabbits outside vs one inside?

I am nuts for contemplating keeping a bunny.... I have chicks in the garage, more eggs in the incubator, quail, chickens, pigs, 2 dogs, a cat, and goats on the way. My younger boy suggested we name him "Chocolate Milk." I suggested perhaps, Hershey. And reminded him, of course, that he is not ours.....

9vXCtOVKQb2vv9Yt8u-hTA.jpg

I keep my rabbits outside in their own section of our chicken coop. We started with one in the house, but they kick litter and hay everywhere. He looks like a mix to me, maybe part mini rex. Rabbits are territorial and will fight with each other. I have heard of people's rabbits getting along fine if they are raised together. I keep mine in their own separate cages to avoid fighting. I have been raising mine for meat for a few years now. I am definitely not an expert.

Does any one have any tips for his temporary or permenant care?

I used to raise rabbits, years ago, and each rabbit had their own wire cage suspended off the ground. However, in your case, with only one rabbit and the off chance that someone might end up claiming him anyway, I would suggest just putting some kind of box or plastic tote in the chicken run, turn it upside down, and cut a doorway just big enough for the rabbit to get in a make a little nest. Put some food and water by the box/tote and the little bunny will probably be very happy.

I had some California rabbits that had similar markings to your bunny in the pic. However, my rabbits were purebreds and their black markings were totally black. They were also about 8 pounds.

1618776716382.png

If your bunny is much smaller, maybe around 4 pounds, here is a picture of a mini-rex which was mentioned:

1618776883561.png

Lots of people don't have purebreds and most probably it is a mix bred. But I'm sure your 6 year old will love having a little pet anyway. I never cared what breed my rabbits were until I was much older and raising them for meat.

Well first of all, he is adorable!! Hard to tell what breed but he has some Harlequin coloring.
Adult males have balls, females don't.

It's very possible that he was dumped from Easter. Lots of people don't realize how much work they are and that they don't always like to be cuddled or picked up. So, when the kids get bored of it the parents don't want to deal with them to they "set them free". It's a good thing you found him when you did. Most rabbits don't survive more than a few days out in the wild.

I really recommend keeping him inside rather than outside. He'll be a lot safer, have more space, won't get as hot, and have more time to bond with you so he won't be so lonely.
Rather than using a cage or a hutch (which are very pricey yet small) I suggest using a wire dog playpen. These provide plenty of space for all his needs while still leaving space for exercise.

Keep him in a room where other pets won't have access to. Somewhere quiet is best. Give him some time to settle in.

Some basic things you'll need:
  • Unlimited fresh timothy hay. Rabbits diets are made up of 80% hay, so having this available at all times is important.
  • Fresh water. Rabbits drink as much as a large dog, so providing plenty of water will help keep them hydrated and healthy
  • Toys. Rabbits are smart and playful, and they need something to help wear down their teeth. You can make DIY toys out of cardboard, paper bags, and paper towel rolls
  • Hiding spots. Rabbits are prey animals and need comfortable spaces that they feel safe in. Cardboard boxes work well. They also like having multiple entrances so they don't feel trapped
  • Litter box. Rabbits can be easily litter trained just like cats. All you need is a large cat sized litter box, big enough that he can turn all the way around in, some litter (don't use cat litter since it has clay which will kill him if he eats it), and lots of hay (since rabbits eat while pooping). It really helps to get them fixed though.
  • A comb. Rabbits need to be groomed regularly. Though they groom themselves and are very clean animals, it's important to get out all the loose hairs. If they ingest too much hair they can't spit up a hairball like a cat, and the hair will block their GI tract which can kill them within 24 hours.

Things to avoid:
  • Cages. These are way to small, cheaply made, and over priced. You can get a playpen for less than half the price.
  • Hutches. Have all the same problems as cages and they often have wire flooring which will hurt their feet since they just have thin fur on their feet.
  • Water bottles. Many reasons not to get them. They are very hard to clean, the nozzles don't let enough water through, it's an unnatural way to drink and it will hurt their necks and spine.
  • Corner litter trays. These are made to fit into small cages. Most rabbits cannot turn all the way around in them and you can't fit enough hay in there. Rabbits spend a lot of time in their litter boxes, pooping and eating, and these small things just do not work.
  • Bedding. It's really just a waste of money and if you were to put it all in the bottom of a cage your rabbit would use the whole thing as a litter box. And they'll have to live in an area with their waste everywhere. Just avoid getting bedding all together. If you want, you can use it in the litter box but that's all its good for.
  • Treats with dyes and seeds. Most pet stores will sell these bags of garbage for small animals. It's like junk food. Treats such as apple, carrot, and bananas slices are a much better snack.
I recommend taking him to the vet. They can sex him/her for you, may be able to tell the age, and check for any health issues. I would also ask to have his nails trimmed if needed.

Rabbits make great pets but they are a lot of work! If you don't think you can care for him at the time then finding a home where someone could dedicate their time to him would be great (assuming he has been dumped).
Most rabbit rescues are great at finding homes where the adopters know how to properly care for rabbits.
A lot of animal shelters will take in rabbits too.
Most of the time, both shelters and rabbit specific rescues will get them fixed too.

Or you could rehome him yourself. Take the time to find the right people though. Most people just want a new toy for their kids, who can't even care for themselves.
And if you can, pass this info on to the next owners. There is a lot of misinformation about rabbit care that will end up hurting both the rabbit and owners.

Good luck, and I hope this helps!

He's adorable! Are you by any chance able to get more pics of him? I swear he looks just like a Harlequin. He looks young, but again, it's hard to tell from your picture.

It can be a bit hard to tell the age of a rabbit, although one of the easiest ways is seeing that they are smaller or identifying the breed and looking up pictures of adults and/or babies to compare. There's that and looking up more specifics of breeds, such as weight, and weighing your rabbit to again compare.
There are, however, some tells for much older rabbits. Some of those include cloudy eyes (not necessarily loss of eyesight), outer nails pointing/turning out instead of straight, and yes, even graying hair. 😆 (I swear I read that once and it's happened to my 10-11yo bun) Not that this helps you for a seemingly younger bunny lol, but it's fun trivia. :)

everything ducks as always gives a great informative post. :) Rabbits are grazers so they always need fresh hay. Pellets are more of a supplement unless you are raising them for different things (I believe diets can change when breeding/raising for meat). Fruits/veggies are for treats. Rabbits usually need to be brushed fairly often, particularly when they're shedding. If it's a shorter haired rabbit it probably won't need as much grooming. And if yours you found is a harlie, I can say from owning one she doesn't shed a ton compared to my long-haired lion head.

One perk to keeping rabbits outside is that you don't have to deal with a litterbox and the smell in your house. Mine live in a wire hutch and also an exercise run that's on the ground so it's super easy to clean the wire and rake up the waste. Rabbit poop is amazing for gardens and plants too!

I honestly think the choice of keeping them indoors or outdoors lies mostly in personal preference. Both have their ups and downs, but both are also solid options as long as you provide and prepare for them properly.
Rabbits can be solitary indoors or outdoors I believe: they can always benefit from a buddy but you will have to go through a bonding process since rabbits don't immediately accept one another. And the more rabbits you keep together, the more chances are for things to go wrong. I've seen lots of people here that have colony set-ups that work fine, but there's a fine line always from what I've seen online.

I know you said you may not even keep him, but I wanted to add some points I don't think others really touched on about rabbit care. :) Rabbits are super fun! Best of luck with this little guy, whether you keep him or not. Hopefully the poor guy wasn't dumped, although if he's young, it's highly likely.

Well first of all, he is adorable!! Hard to tell what breed but he has some Harlequin coloring.
Adult males have balls, females don't.

It's very possible that he was dumped from Easter. Lots of people don't realize how much work they are and that they don't always like to be cuddled or picked up. So, when the kids get bored of it the parents don't want to deal with them to they "set them free". It's a good thing you found him when you did. Most rabbits don't survive more than a few days out in the wild.

I really recommend keeping him inside rather than outside. He'll be a lot safer, have more space, won't get as hot, and have more time to bond with you so he won't be so lonely.
Rather than using a cage or a hutch (which are very pricey yet small) I suggest using a wire dog playpen. These provide plenty of space for all his needs while still leaving space for exercise.

Keep him in a room where other pets won't have access to. Somewhere quiet is best. Give him some time to settle in.

Some basic things you'll need:
  • Unlimited fresh timothy hay. Rabbits diets are made up of 80% hay, so having this available at all times is important.
  • Fresh water. Rabbits drink as much as a large dog, so providing plenty of water will help keep them hydrated and healthy
  • Toys. Rabbits are smart and playful, and they need something to help wear down their teeth. You can make DIY toys out of cardboard, paper bags, and paper towel rolls
  • Hiding spots. Rabbits are prey animals and need comfortable spaces that they feel safe in. Cardboard boxes work well. They also like having multiple entrances so they don't feel trapped
  • Litter box. Rabbits can be easily litter trained just like cats. All you need is a large cat sized litter box, big enough that he can turn all the way around in, some litter (don't use cat litter since it has clay which will kill him if he eats it), and lots of hay (since rabbits eat while pooping). It really helps to get them fixed though.
  • A comb. Rabbits need to be groomed regularly. Though they groom themselves and are very clean animals, it's important to get out all the loose hairs. If they ingest too much hair they can't spit up a hairball like a cat, and the hair will block their GI tract which can kill them within 24 hours.

Things to avoid:
  • Cages. These are way to small, cheaply made, and over priced. You can get a playpen for less than half the price.
  • Hutches. Have all the same problems as cages and they often have wire flooring which will hurt their feet since they just have thin fur on their feet.
  • Water bottles. Many reasons not to get them. They are very hard to clean, the nozzles don't let enough water through, it's an unnatural way to drink and it will hurt their necks and spine.
  • Corner litter trays. These are made to fit into small cages. Most rabbits cannot turn all the way around in them and you can't fit enough hay in there. Rabbits spend a lot of time in their litter boxes, pooping and eating, and these small things just do not work.
  • Bedding. It's really just a waste of money and if you were to put it all in the bottom of a cage your rabbit would use the whole thing as a litter box. And they'll have to live in an area with their waste everywhere. Just avoid getting bedding all together. If you want, you can use it in the litter box but that's all its good for.
  • Treats with dyes and seeds. Most pet stores will sell these bags of garbage for small animals. It's like junk food. Treats such as apple, carrot, and bananas slices are a much better snack.
I recommend taking him to the vet. They can sex him/her for you, may be able to tell the age, and check for any health issues. I would also ask to have his nails trimmed if needed.

Rabbits make great pets but they are a lot of work! If you don't think you can care for him at the time then finding a home where someone could dedicate their time to him would be great (assuming he has been dumped).
Most rabbit rescues are great at finding homes where the adopters know how to properly care for rabbits.
A lot of animal shelters will take in rabbits too.
Most of the time, both shelters and rabbit specific rescues will get them fixed too.

Or you could rehome him yourself. Take the time to find the right people though. Most people just want a new toy for their kids, who can't even care for themselves.
And if you can, pass this info on to the next owners. There is a lot of misinformation about rabbit care that will end up hurting both the rabbit and owners.

Good luck, and I hope this helps!

Thanks for the awesome response! That is really helpful. I like those ex-pens. I have one in our chicken run now that I use to integrate baby chicks into the main flock. Do you cover the top? Do you put something on the floor to protect it? We hung flyers on our road tonight and I posted on FB pages and craigslist, so if the owners are looking for their bunny, hopefully they will find him.

He's adorable! Are you by any chance able to get more pics of him? I swear he looks just like a Harlequin. He looks young, but again, it's hard to tell from your picture.

It can be a bit hard to tell the age of a rabbit, although one of the easiest ways is seeing that they are smaller or identifying the breed and looking up pictures of adults and/or babies to compare. There's that and looking up more specifics of breeds, such as weight, and weighing your rabbit to again compare.
There are, however, some tells for much older rabbits. Some of those include cloudy eyes (not necessarily loss of eyesight), outer nails pointing/turning out instead of straight, and yes, even graying hair. 😆 (I swear I read that once and it's happened to my 10-11yo bun) Not that this helps you for a seemingly younger bunny lol, but it's fun trivia. :)

everything ducks as always gives a great informative post. :) Rabbits are grazers so they always need fresh hay. Pellets are more of a supplement unless you are raising them for different things (I believe diets can change when breeding/raising for meat). Fruits/veggies are for treats. Rabbits usually need to be brushed fairly often, particularly when they're shedding. If it's a shorter haired rabbit it probably won't need as much grooming. And if yours you found is a harlie, I can say from owning one she doesn't shed a ton compared to my long-haired lion head.

One perk to keeping rabbits outside is that you don't have to deal with a litterbox and the smell in your house. Mine live in a wire hutch and also an exercise run that's on the ground so it's super easy to clean the wire and rake up the waste. Rabbit poop is amazing for gardens and plants too!

I honestly think the choice of keeping them indoors or outdoors lies mostly in personal preference. Both have their ups and downs, but both are also solid options as long as you provide and prepare for them properly.
Rabbits can be solitary indoors or outdoors I believe: they can always benefit from a buddy but you will have to go through a bonding process since rabbits don't immediately accept one another. And the more rabbits you keep together, the more chances are for things to go wrong. I've seen lots of people here that have colony set-ups that work fine, but there's a fine line always from what I've seen online.

I know you said you may not even keep him, but I wanted to add some points I don't think others really touched on about rabbit care. :) Rabbits are super fun! Best of luck with this little guy, whether you keep him or not. Hopefully the poor guy wasn't dumped, although if he's young, it's highly likely.

Thank you so much! That is a super helpful answer. He's such a nice, calm rabbit, if no one claims him, we will seriously consider keeping him as a pet. I had some rabbits when i was a kid that if I recall did some damage (just minor) to the house because we let them run loose. Not too keen on the idea of rabbit-proofing the house or having my woodwork, electrical cords, and area rugs chewed up.... so for that reason keeping them outside appeals. Also don't have a ton of room for a large enclosure in the house. On the other hand, I prefer to keep my dogs inside with us as part of the family, so I can also see the reasons and benefits to keeping him inside. Perhaps, he could have an indoor home and a larger outdoor enclosure? I want what's best for him. A rabbit-owning acquaintance gave me the name of a good rescue organization if we decide re-homing him is best. Another acquaintance of mine who raises rabbits for meat and shows them said he kind of looked like a harlequin. I will try to post some more pictures later or tomorrow.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone. We went out and got hay and rabbit feed this afternoon, and some chew toys for him this evening. I hope we can keep him comfortable for a few days until we find out if someone is going to claim him or not. A rabbit was definitely not in our plans for the summer, but he seems really tame and sweet, so it is tempting to keep him.

Thanks for the awesome response! That is really helpful. I like those ex-pens. I have one in our chicken run now that I use to integrate baby chicks into the main flock. Do you cover the top? Do you put something on the floor to protect it? We hung flyers on our road tonight and I posted on FB pages and craigslist, so if the owners are looking for their bunny, hopefully they will find him.
I would recommend putting a cover on the top of an exercise pen if you use one. Our Dutch rabbit used to jump out of his exercise pen (around 30" tall, I believe), before we got a cover for it!

Here are some more pictures, though they aren't the best. He's not a huge rabbit, but he's not as small as the ones I had as a kid. I had a mini-lop and what I thought was a Netherland Dwarf (but it didn't look like the ones I just googled a minute ago, so either I didn't have a ND or they have changed in a couple decades, haha). He's about the same size as my cat--pretty sure he doesn't weigh as much though.

1618804921322.png

1618804664938.png

1618805097454.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom