Found a random rooster on the side of the road on my way to school with torn up feet and it was getting hot so I brought him home, what now?

He pecked me once when I put food and water in the crate. He's either not aggressive, or still in shock
He also seemed to relax a lot when I cleaned his feet, I think it was the cold water that made him relax, we were both hot because the sun was up and in California, as soon as the sun's up it starts to get really hot. Yesterday had a high in the 90s and today has a high of 96. He closed his eyes and for a sec I was panicking thinking that he was gonna pass out or something but I think he was just so tired from the heat and everything.

Do you plan on keeping him?
Its unlikely. I have no other chickens and he's a rooster which might tick off my dad lol. Plus we plan on moving sometime soon and the next house'll probably be a rental and most places dislike chickens, especially roosters. I think I might try to find him a home once I can verify that he isn't aggressive or anything. unless I find the owner of course

He pecked me once when I put food and water in the crate. He's either not aggressive, or still in shock
He also seemed to relax a lot when I cleaned his feet, I think it was the cold water that made him relax, we were both hot because the sun was up and in California, as soon as the sun's up it starts to get really hot. Yesterday had a high in the 90s and today has a high of 96. He closed his eyes and for a sec I was panicking thinking that he was gonna pass out or something but I think he was just so tired from the heat and everything.
Talk about the heat! We've been having hotter days than you! It's been over 100s most days.

Its unlikely. I have no other chickens and he's a rooster which might tick off my dad lol. Plus we plan on moving sometime soon and the next house'll probably be a rental and most places dislike chickens, especially roosters. I think I might try to find him a home once I can verify that he isn't aggressive or anything. unless I find the owner of course
Start finding a home for him now. It may be difficult to find him a new home because not many people want more roosters you know. There are so many roosters that need new homes, I myself am trying to rehome 2 cockerels. Try posting in your state thread.->
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/find-your-states-or-your-countrys-thread.270925/

image.jpg

This is him

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom