Found a random rooster on the side of the road on my way to school with torn up feet and it was getting hot so I brought him home, what now?

Hey guys? I think there’s something wrong with his right eye. I realized that when I reached in to change out his water he seemed startled as if he just realized my hand was in the cage. I’m worried he might be partially blind or something. I took him out and saw that his eye doesn’t seem right… any idea what’s wrong?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    344 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    561.8 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    502.6 KB · Views: 10
He might just have a slight eye infection. You can try washing it twice daily with plain saline (like human saline eyewash with nothing else in it) and apply Triple Antibiotic ointment around the eye (plain ointment, no pain killer in it). The ointment will seep into the eye itself, and should help. It sounds like you want to keep him in which case yes, he needs food and a decent shelter suitable for chickens, and, ideally, a couple of chicken friends or at least poultry friends. Chickens are social and get very lonely if alone, even if they are with other poultry, they prefer at least one other chicken friend.

How did you catch him because you said he was very skittish at first? And how did you carry him while bicycling? Anyway, he might end up as chicken soup if you're trying to give him away.

How did you catch him because you said he was very skittish at first? And how did you carry him while bicycling? Anyway, he might end up as chicken soup if you're trying to give him away.
I walked my bike back because I was only a few streets away from my house. It was rather difficult to catch him but I couldn’t leave him there. I think you believe that we’re asking random people and we really aren’t. We’re trying to find someone that we know will take care of him and will NOT kill him.

I walked my bike back because I was only a few streets away from my house. It was rather difficult to catch him but I couldn’t leave him there. I think you believe that we’re asking random people and we really aren’t. We’re trying to find someone that we know will take care of him and will NOT kill him.
I realize that might have come off a bit aggressive, sorry ‘bout that. I can’t stand the thought of that happening after all that poor rooster has been through.

He might just have a slight eye infection. You can try washing it twice daily with plain saline (like human saline eyewash with nothing else in it) and apply Triple Antibiotic ointment around the eye (plain ointment, no pain killer in it). The ointment will seep into the eye itself, and should help. It sounds like you want to keep him in which case yes, he needs food and a decent shelter suitable for chickens, and, ideally, a couple of chicken friends or at least poultry friends. Chickens are social and get very lonely if alone, even if they are with other poultry, they prefer at least one other chicken friend.
I wish I could keep him, it would be amazing. My family is not in a good position to take on a new pet, especially since we would be getting a few hens if we did. My dad is going nuts about having a chicken in his house and I don’t know how much longer he’ll tolerate having a rooster. I’m going to miss him but I know there’s someone out there who would be willing to care for him. He is a good rooster and deserves a flock and a home with someone who has the time and resources to give him everything he needs to have an amazing long life.

I wish I could keep him, it would be amazing. My family is not in a good position to take on a new pet, especially since we would be getting a few hens if we did. My dad is going nuts about having a chicken in his house and I don’t know how much longer he’ll tolerate having a rooster. I’m going to miss him but I know there’s someone out there who would be willing to care for him. He is a good rooster and deserves a flock and a home with someone who has the time and resources to give him everything he needs to have an amazing long life.
Have you looked in farmed animal sanctuaries? He'd get great care, have chicken friends, and live out the rest of his life without fear.

I'm unsure of where in CA you are, but I can think of two rescues in Los Angeles:

Farm Sanctuary
https://www.farmsanctuary.org/the-sanctuaries/los-angeles-ca/

Best Friends Animal Society (Unsure if this branch handles poultry, though.)
https://la.bestfriends.org/

Either rescue would, at least, be able to help you with figuring out a place to send him.

Have you looked in farmed animal sanctuaries? He'd get great care, have chicken friends, and live out the rest of his life without fear.

I'm unsure of where in CA you are, but I can think of two rescues in Los Angeles:

Farm Sanctuary
https://www.farmsanctuary.org/the-sanctuaries/los-angeles-ca/

Best Friends Animal Society (Unsure if this branch handles poultry, though.)
https://la.bestfriends.org/

Either rescue would, at least, be able to help you with figuring out a place to send him.
Thank you so much! I’ll check them out and see if they can help :D

Back
Top Bottom