Found a secret nest - are the eggs okay to eat?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by seachainanmadra, Sep 5, 2014.

1. seachainanmadra

seachainanmadra Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2014
    One of my girls has been sneaking around! I thought the girls started laying their first eggs on Monday when I found the a cache hidden in the corner of their coop, but today I found a secret nest with eight beautiful eggs in an overgrown part of my garden! The nest was partially shaded by weeds and some of the eggs were well buried in the grass, but others were at least partially exposed to the sun and were warm to the touch. I found the girl I suspect of laying in secret trapped in my garden last week, so I think the earliest eggs have been there for a little while. Temps have been between 90 & 100 degrees this week, and it's been sunny most days, but it did rain pretty hard once. We don't have a rooster, so the eggs definitely aren't fertile.

If the girls had been laying a while I would have no problem throwing these eggs out, but this is the first week and I haven't even eaten any of our "home grown" eggs yet. These are so perfect and special and new that it breaks my heart to have to toss them. Please help me with my decision! Would floating the eggs be any indication of whether they are safe to eat, or should I just throw them out regardless?

2. thinkloically

thinkloically Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2013
    Frisco,Texas
    Water float it- if it sinks-good. Floats- bad.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by