Found a soft shelled egg, dropped it, chickens ate it, problem?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Operafamily, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Operafamily

Operafamily New Egg

Aug 15, 2011
    Today my ladies each laid an egg. My Polish/Buff dropped a soft shelled egg and when I picked it up I dropped it. She seemed very interested, popped out of the house and rushed to eat it. Her friend helped finish it. Should I be worried? I think they're both getting enough calcium. They are free range, with suppliments of yogurt, safflower seeds, millet, meal worms, pumpkin seeds, banana, rice and scratch. Ideas?
    I'll watch them and hope they don't start eating their own eggs...

2. Operafamily

Operafamily New Egg

Aug 15, 2011
    Update:... she is a buff-Orpington/Polish

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

No, they won't. My birds will be opportunistic and eat a broken egg in their presence, but I've never had egg eaters in the coop. One doesn't necessarily follow the other.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:Ditto.

5. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    I was worried about just that when I had several broken eggs in my coop, thanks to the lovely and talented Pip, who insisted on laying from up on the roosts for her first two weeks. Gravity, as you might imagine, was unkind.

Her broken eggs did get eaten, but I have no egg eaters now, 3-4 weeks later, and all my girls are laying reliably. Where they should be. Except for Hermione. Which is another story...

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Quote:Yup.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by