Found a tame quail and know nothing about them...

Discussion in 'Quail' started by quailinourgarage, Nov 23, 2011.

1. quailinourgarage

quailinourgarage New Egg

Nov 23, 2011
    A very tame quail has been hanging out in our garage all day. The neighbor's cat caught it and had it pinned, so we saved it and have it resting in a cat carrier right now. I gave it a small cardboard box to hide in, some water, and some birdseed for now until we figure out if someone near here owns it and what to do. My daughter is in love as it seems to be very tame. It's sleeping now in its box, and seemed very happy to hop into the cat carrier. Any ideas on what I should do? Could we keep it as a pet? Can they be kept solitary? It seems to be a female bob white? At least by the pictures I found....thanks for any suggestions.

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Take good care of the quail orphan. Quails are very quick, and maybe it escaped it's owner by accident. Buy it some game bird food, and also some chick grit (which will help the little quail digest it's food. Plenty of fresh water and it shouldn't be difficult!

Good luck! Happy Thanksgiving too!
    Sharon

3. quailinourgarage

quailinourgarage New Egg

Nov 23, 2011
    Thank you! Can anyone recommend a good website that can help me figure out basic care, housing, etc. if we end up keeping it?

4. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    Your already at a great site! [​IMG]

If you think it's a Bob white, try using the search feature at the top of the page. Endless information will come up for care and housing. There are many here who have Bob whites and hopefully will be along soon to help you more. I really don't know much about them.

Maybe after looking through the searches , you can ask more specific questions and get the help you need.

I hope it goes well for you.

5. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:X2

6. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:What area are you in? It could even be a California Valley Quail!! Post pics

7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Yes, you need to post pics so we can get a good look at it! [​IMG] No matter what it's breed, it will need a mate or a companion at some point. Although some folks keep their quail as pets, inside the house like parrots, and if you give him/her enough attention, you can keep them alone. Being that he/she has been accustom to living outside, I wouldn't bring it indoors unless you plan on keeping it inside as they you will have to reacclimate it to the outside.

He/she will need a good gamebird food of some sort. I know that some folks have trouble finding gamebird food these days, but if you can find some turkey feed or turkey starter, that will work too. You can make friends with it with greens, finch seed and peas. Lots of peas. [​IMG]

Give him/her as much room as you can afford to offer. A rabbit hutch is easy to obtain and works great for quail. If you live in an area that sees lots of winter, keep the enclosure out of any direct wind and give him/her some shelter.

Put in a small sand box for taking dust baths. If you don't have any sand, fine dirt will work fine. Good luck! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by