Found baby duck, can I put it with my boody hen?

newlyweds

Pearl of the Prairie
9 Years
Mar 12, 2010
Southeast Texas
My brother just found a "wild" baby duck. Not sure on the breed yet, it was in his driveway and he has no clue where it came from. I have 2 hens that just hatched chicks yesterday. Do you think I could sneak the baby duck under one of the hens tonight and in the morning she would not realize anything? I have done this with chicks before, but I worry that a duck looks too different? Any thoughts?? Any experience with this. Thanks in Advance.

Here is a picture of the duck. I live in Texas so any clues on the breed. The duck is currently under a broody hen, fingers crossed.

Last edited:
I have no idea if that will work, however, I found one in my pool and put it in my tub with a heat lamp. It is now feathering out and is doing just fine. Feed it unmedicated food. The duckling we found was in our swimming pool and was so small it had just recently hatched. hope this helps some.

Well I put the duck under my broody hen last night, and when I got up early this morning the duck is missing? I am sure it is hiding somewhere but I can't find it anywhere, I am kicking myself for not just putting it in a brooder. I just thought for sure it would take to the hen, but I guess it got spooked and ran off. I've looked everywhere and it's so tiny so it would be easy to be hiding.

Thanks for identifying the breed. I will keep looking and hope I get lucky and find it.

Well I put the duck under my broody hen last night, and when I got up early this morning the duck is missing? I am sure it is hiding somewhere but I can't find it anywhere, I am kicking myself for not just putting it in a brooder. I just thought for sure it would take to the hen, but I guess it got spooked and ran off. I've looked everywhere and it's so tiny so it would be easy to be hiding.

Thanks for identifying the breed. I will keep looking and hope I get lucky and find it.
Aww i hope you find it..

I hope you find it! So cute!
love.gif
If you do find it you should probably get another duck (the same gender) as this ducky. With ducks you're supposed to keep them in the brooder until 2 weeks and then you could probably put it with the chickens, but only ones of the same gender or else you'll get duck-chicken crossbreeds... Also you're going to need to get duck feed. Ducks and chickens can't share feed, as far as I know... Good luck finding it!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom