Found baby ducklings without mother! Help!

I was thinking wood ducks, at first, but that photo on post #29 says Muscovy to me, which would be much better for you because you wouldn't have to deal with wildlife rehabbers.

In any case, they can't be released outdoors until they have their full body feathers, in the least.

Yes I'm waiting till they're alot bigger and won't be picked up by preditors or anything and I have posted them on Craigslist, that's the only place I'd be able to find anyone to take them(that I can think of). I'm just so leery of people on Craigslist, I don't care if I get money for them or not, I just want them to have a good home and not just be taken for food or something. Also tomorrow I'm going to make them a larger cage. I love the bin type cage that I have them in(my sister made it years ago) and it has most of the lid cut out with small wire over it and zip tied to it and its an amazing cage to have ducks in lol nothing to hurt them and easy to clean, but anyways I have a larger bin that I'm going to do the same thing to for them to have a bigger cage. They're growing so fast!

Yes I'm waiting till they're alot bigger and won't be picked up by preditors or anything and I have posted them on Craigslist, that's the only place I'd be able to find anyone to take them(that I can think of). I'm just so leery of people on Craigslist, I don't care if I get money for them or not, I just want them to have a good home and not just be taken for food or something. Also tomorrow I'm going to make them a larger cage. I love the bin type cage that I have them in(my sister made it years ago) and it has most of the lid cut out with small wire over it and zip tied to it and its an amazing cage to have ducks in lol nothing to hurt them and easy to clean, but anyways I have a larger bin that I'm going to do the same thing to for them to have a bigger cage. They're growing so fast!

If you have a feed store or a TSC close by they may have a bulletin board where you can post an ad, just say you don't want them to go as food.
fl.gif
and if you take them to the pond it isn't going to matter much on how big they are as far as getting picked on, they will be the new kids on the block so to speak and out siders so they will be picked on.

If you have a feed store or a TSC close by they may have a bulletin board where you can post an ad, just say you don't want them to go as food.
:fl    and if you take them to the pond it isn't going to matter much on how big they are as far as getting picked on, they will be the new kids on the block so to speak and out siders so they will be picked on.

I'm going to try my best to find them a home without just letting them go but I can only keep them for long. 10 ducks take up alot of room and grow fast so I'm trying to find home but I can't keep 10 big ducks here.

Um, EXCUSE Me!

I have lived in Australia my whole life I am currently in Western Sydney and so far I have had a fledgling Wedge Tailed Eagle, a Whistling Kite AND most recently a Pied Harrier after my birds! The eagle is the worst, he hides in a tree across the road and waits for the 'clack' of my back door closing then goes for the birds thinking I have gone inside! He also flies low up the back paddocks to land in a nearby tree and go for them that way. I depend on the crows and magpie larks to tell me when they are all around, but the crows have started raiding my shed for eggs!

We also DO have snapping turtles, our water courses just arent right for them to threaten waterfowl.

By the way my main reason for weighing in on this thread is, these are wood ducks. I havnt had much experience with domestic breeds but I have done bird rescue for 10 years and these little lovlies bear striking resemblance to australian wood ducks (which is, technically a maned goose) so Im betting thats what these are.

I wish you were near me honey, Id take the lot. Ive told all my mates to look out, nows the time for unsuspecting, first time mommy ducks to lose their babies down drains and in other mishaps.

It depends what area of Australia you are in as to preds. Hawks vary in different areas, as for snapping turtles when I was in Western Australia I found most were herbivores and the others werent big enough to bother an adult duck. Not really on the size scale of the American ones

Um, EXCUSE Me!

I have lived in Australia my whole life I am currently in Western Sydney and so far I have had a fledgling Wedge Tailed Eagle, a Whistling Kite AND most recently a Pied Harrier after my birds! The eagle is the worst, he hides in a tree across the road and waits for the 'clack' of my back door closing then goes for the birds thinking I have gone inside! He also flies low up the back paddocks to land in a nearby tree and go for them that way. I depend on the crows and magpie larks to tell me when they are all around, but the crows have started raiding my shed for eggs!

We also DO have snapping turtles, our water courses just arent right for them to threaten waterfowl.

By the way my main reason for weighing in on this thread is, these are wood ducks. I havnt had much experience with domestic breeds but I have done bird rescue for 10 years and these little lovlies bear striking resemblance to australian wood ducks (which is, technically a maned goose) so Im betting thats what these are.

I wish you were near me honey, Id take the lot. Ive told all my mates to look out, nows the time for unsuspecting, first time mommy ducks to lose their babies down drains and in other mishaps.

Well I have also lived in Australia all my life I guess it depends on where in Australia but I live in the out back of Vic and we haven't had one eagle or any bird swoop neither have we ever had snapping turtles so I guess that's a bit strange and I do not think there are snapping turtles in Australia except for zoos.

Last edited:
Well I have also lived in Australia all my life I guess it depends on where in Australia but I live in the out back of Vic and we haven't had one eagle or any bird swoop neither have we ever had snapping turtles so I guess that's a bit strange and I do not think there are snapping turtles in Australia except for zoos.

I live on Vancouver island, Canada, and I think it really matters with your the area, here it does. We have so much wilderness that even though we have tons of bald eagles, golden eagles-which are huge, vultures, hawks, wolves, no coyetes or snapping turtles though. With all those predators I still haven't heard of any incidents here with peoples pets, its usually a neighbours dog or racoon. But we have an enormous amount of land mass compared to population of people here, and tons of sanctuary land. You prob just live in different areas so the wildlife acts differently, but you certanly have snappers there, there is a few different ones there too, the largest is the Australian snapping turtle, they arent as common, but big!

Picture of baby Muscovies. With the fawn coloring they look just like your babies. I'm convinced they must be Muscovy!

Back
Top Bottom