Found Box turtle in my coop?

Juliechickens

Songster
12 Years
Apr 7, 2007
Memphis, TN
Every morning my husband opens the coop and lets my chickens out and feeds them before I get up. Then I always go out and wish them a good morning and check on them. This morning there was a small Box turtle chillen out in the coop. About as big as my hand. I don't think he could find his way out. I guess he was either there enjoying the chicken feed buffet or looking for eggs. My 5 month old hens have not started laying yet.....I'm waiting and waiting for an egg to appear one day. Anyways...I put the turtle outside my yard fence so he couldn't get back in. I'm glad it was a turtle instead of a snake!! YUK I hate snakes. We live with woods all in our yard and around us. So far,,,no preditors. My coop is well protected with chain link all around it including the top. I also have chicken wire around the bottom to prevent other preditors getting in but I'm sure they could find a way if they wanted in badly enough.
Anyways,,,just was strange to see something besides my chickens in there. My chickens didn't like him because not a one of them was in the coop. I'm sure he got pecked a few times on his shell. Just wanted to say Hi to yall.
Julie
smile.png

Oh, I love turtles. I know you did not want him in there with your chickens though. I am sure they would eat the eggs. I bet he got pecked a lot if he was in there before they came out!! Take care girl.

Marie

Hi Julie...thanks for the turtle rescue. I consider myself a TURTLE Rescuer! If I ever see a turtle on the road...my husband and I will rescue it and release it somewhere safe. Just a note...turtles carry many diseases besides Salmonella! So I'd be carefull handling turtles just like we would wash our hands after handling a chicken. I actually keep a box of disposable gloves in my car exactly for reasons like this...or the terrible accident waiting to happen in front of me.
clap.gif
You can never be too safe!

Back
Top Bottom