Found chicks today what should i do?

redstars

Songster
10 Years
Mar 15, 2009
south dartmouth ma
Hi everyone, I went out this morning and found one of my Neighbours hens with 13 chicks
she had hatched behind my coop.Their chickens are always in my yard hanging around my girls they never feed or lock up their birds they kinda just let them
be. The question I have is should I try to catch the hen and chicks and put them in my separate brooding area or let them be? It is about 45 out today down to high 30s tonight but
Tuesday will not get out of the twenties. Any advise would be helpful.Thanks For those who might say tell the neighbours. I have they are not interested.

If youare happy and able to take on more chickens GO FOR IT!!
Otherwise you can always sell them.

Leave them be. Mama hen can handle it and mother nature takes care of the rest. Keep in mind, she was attentive enough to hatch 13 chicks. Don't mess with nature. Just enjoy them.
big_smile.png

Quote:
X10............ your neighbor may not be as attentive with their birds as you would like, but just wait untill you take them away. I say leave the hen do her thing she knows best and will do better by the chicks if left alone and not messed with. Plus you can keep the peace with those next door.

I'm with Indi.

If the cold temps don't get her (even those low temps is kinda hard for a hen who just say on a clutch for many days to handle) the winter night predators
will enjoy that feast on the cold winter evenings.

It is not the original poster's bird. Taking the bird for themselves or selling the chicks would be stealing.

Leave them alone, or catch them and return them to the owner. Or if you want them, ask the neighbor if you can catch them and keep them.

Quote:
I respectfully disagree................. they kinda have been doing their thing for only ........... Let's see............ a few thousand years more than humans.

Quote:
X10............ your neighbor may not be as attentive with their birds as you would like, but just wait untill you take them away. I say leave the hen do her thing she knows best and will do better by the chicks if left alone and not messed with. Plus you can keep the peace with those next door.

Exactly, let nature do it's thing and enjoy the experience of it. That momma hen knows what to do.

Other than that you could go talk to your neighbor and advise them there are chicks in your yard. From there work out some solution as to how to care and as they are eating your feed how to compensate....all in good nature off course.

Edit for: The hen chose to have the clutch where more food was available for her chicks. It doesn't make them yours as much as if I had a hole in my non foundation house siding and a cat had her brood there. Was simply warmer shelter, not my kittens. Though would jovially interact a good deal if interested to known owner.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom