Found chicks today what should i do?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by redstars, Dec 31, 2011.

1. redstars

redstars Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2009
    south dartmouth ma
    Hi everyone, I went out this morning and found one of my Neighbours hens with 13 chicks
    she had hatched behind my coop.Their chickens are always in my yard hanging around my girls they never feed or lock up their birds they kinda just let them
    be. The question I have is should I try to catch the hen and chicks and put them in my separate brooding area or let them be? It is about 45 out today down to high 30s tonight but
    Tuesday will not get out of the twenties. Any advise would be helpful.Thanks For those who might say tell the neighbours. I have they are not interested.

2. indi

indi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    If youare happy and able to take on more chickens GO FOR IT!!
    Otherwise you can always sell them.

3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Leave them be. Mama hen can handle it and mother nature takes care of the rest. Keep in mind, she was attentive enough to hatch 13 chicks. Don't mess with nature. Just enjoy them.[​IMG]

4. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:X10............ your neighbor may not be as attentive with their birds as you would like, but just wait untill you take them away. I say leave the hen do her thing she knows best and will do better by the chicks if left alone and not messed with. Plus you can keep the peace with those next door.

5. Twiggers96

Twiggers96 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2011
    Arcadia, FL
    I'm with Indi.

If the cold temps don't get her (even those low temps is kinda hard for a hen who just say on a clutch for many days to handle) the winter night predators
    will enjoy that feast on the cold winter evenings.

6. NightsInWhiteSilkies

NightsInWhiteSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2011
    Can you talk to your neighboor and let them know?

7. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    It is not the original poster's bird. Taking the bird for themselves or selling the chicks would be stealing.

Leave them alone, or catch them and return them to the owner. Or if you want them, ask the neighbor if you can catch them and keep them.

8. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:I respectfully disagree................. they kinda have been doing their thing for only ........... Let's see............ a few thousand years more than humans.

9. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Quote:X10............ your neighbor may not be as attentive with their birds as you would like, but just wait untill you take them away. I say leave the hen do her thing she knows best and will do better by the chicks if left alone and not messed with. Plus you can keep the peace with those next door.

Exactly, let nature do it's thing and enjoy the experience of it. That momma hen knows what to do.

Other than that you could go talk to your neighbor and advise them there are chicks in your yard. From there work out some solution as to how to care and as they are eating your feed how to compensate....all in good nature off course.

Edit for: The hen chose to have the clutch where more food was available for her chicks. It doesn't make them yours as much as if I had a hole in my non foundation house siding and a cat had her brood there. Was simply warmer shelter, not my kittens. Though would jovially interact a good deal if interested to known owner.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  10. SueBaby

SueBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    Oceanside, CA
    Talk to your neighbor

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by