awyman

Songster
Apr 5, 2019
West Virginia
So early this afternoon I found one of my ducks in a empty dog box of ours. I was concerned that she was hurt, so investigated. She got up and walked away. I discovered she had 12 eggs she was laying on. Before I left I checked back to see if she went back in the box to lay on them but she hadn’t. Is it okay if she doesn’t lay on them constantly? This is my first time with a nest of eggs so I don’t know much. So I need someone to tell me everything I need to know. Is it okay to just leave the eggs with the ducks till they hatch? Or do I need to take them and incubate them? When they do hatch, should I take them from the mama? I’ve had a predator swipe two of my baby turkeys before. So would it be safest to keep them in my house in a brooder? Can someone tell me how I should handle this whole process?
C80FD4DE-0CB0-4DDD-9348-85584BA1626F.jpeg

Duck eggs usually take 28 Days to incubate. She should be sitting on them pretty much all the time, while taking a short break about every day to eat, drink, and use the restroom. It's really up to you if you want her to raise them or if you want to incubate them yourself. If it was me I would let her raise them because it's much easier that way. And she knows what to do. If you have a problem with predators, then make her nest predator proof so that nothing can access the babies. Good luck, I currently have a broody hen right now on the last day of incubation. So I have chicks on the way! Again Good luck with your broody duck and ducklings

Back
Top Bottom