Found egg in the pool

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by reneemellor, Oct 8, 2011.

1. reneemellor

reneemellor Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2011
    Waco, Tx
    Hi, today I found an egg in the kiddy pool that my ducks use for swimming. I'm pretty sure it's fertile, as she has been getting lots of "attention" from the drake. Does the fact that it was under water (for up to 2 days) make it un-hatchable? I have a hen who has gone broody and would like to use her as my incubator. These are my first ducks, so I'm just not sure.

2. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    If it was in there for two days I wouldn't try and hatch it or eat it. Too many what if's and you don't need a duck egg going rotten under a hen to have to get rid of.

3. reneemellor

Oct 8, 2011
    Waco, Tx
    I'm not exactly sure how long it was in there, I just know when I last cleaned and refilled the pool. I did just find another one on the ground, so I think I'll just pop the new one under my hen. Thanks for the advice.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:[​IMG]

5. KrazyKZ08

KrazyKZ08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Brevard, FL
    i have heard of it being possible after about a week of being submerged, but trying to hatch an egg in general seems like rocket science to me [​IMG] at least artificially it does lol

6. reneemellor

Oct 8, 2011
    Waco, Tx
    This is my first try with a duck egg. We have had pretty good luck hatching chicks under our broody hen. I don't do anything except candle them a couple of times, mostly for my children's entertainment, lol!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by