Found Emu

I have been in contact with two different refuges that are more than happy to help me out. However, the Emu might not be lost as I thought... One refuge informed me that ranchers will purchase Emus to help fend off coyotes... so I may just be in his territory. We are talking to the land owners in this area to make sure it is owned.

This is super weird and random, but I follow a woman on Instagram who had an emu show up on her farm a couple of weeks ago and I’m fairly certain she also lives in Texas.. now I have to go look!

ETA - nope she lives in Virginia :lau but still, what a weird thing to happen to both of you!

I have been in contact with two different refuges that are more than happy to help me out. However, the Emu might not be lost as I thought... One refuge informed me that ranchers will purchase Emus to help fend off coyotes... so I may just be in his territory. We are talking to the land owners in this area to make sure it is owned.
Where are you located? South Texas is a huge area.

one post mentioned grapes and boy did he love those... I also gave him what's called Chicken Scratch. I can't feed him everyday, but every few days I give him something... especially ahead of cold weather. He does not appear to be owned, and could leave this pasture at anytime.

My local feed store informed me that Emu's used to be a fad in these parts. Big business would pay $20,000 a peace to put on their property. They were so popular that Emu hatcheries sprang up, which reduced the price, somewhat. Then the fad went away, the hatcheries could no longer make money, and many of them were released into the wild of Texas. Now they are not worth much money at all, and apparently roam wild. But this one is very friendly, and was obviously fed by humans before.

Back
Top Bottom