Found Emu

Do they bond with poultry?

I wouldn't say bond as in become friends with them, but if raised with them they will tolerate poultry and not chase them, etc.

..... what’s the livestock guardian portion of emus? I’m super curious. I’ve always wanted one... you mean there could be a purpose?!

They kick and stomp things that they don't like - so small predators like foxes, raccoons, etc, are asking for death if they wander into an emu pen. They probably won't be able to protect from any large predators, like a pack of coyotes. But for small stuff they're a pretty good deterrent. Since I've got them the only birds I've lost to predators have been kept in a separate pen from the emus.

We have coyotes and raptors and the odd mountain lion or bobcat. Now and then a skunk. DH takes care of the coyotes when he sees one. I have yet to lose any birds to them, but there’s always cover and the poultry like to hang around with the scary horned cattle, so maybe that helps. Do you think an emu would hang out with the birds free ranging, or do they have to be penned?

We have coyotes and raptors and the odd mountain lion or bobcat. Now and then a skunk. DH takes care of the coyotes when he sees one. I have yet to lose any birds to them, but there’s always cover and the poultry like to hang around with the scary horned cattle, so maybe that helps. Do you think an emu would hang out with the birds free ranging, or do they have to be penned?

You have to pen them. They're semi-nomadic in the wild and wander pretty far. If you let yours free range there's a good chance it will just go wandering off.

Back
Top Bottom