Found Emu

Oh wow. You don't hear that very often. I'd have no clue, but this is a link to the Emu section for general reading. I'd imagine someone will come along here too (emergencies) but you might be able to find what your looking for there. Thank you for trying to care for the Emu, and I hope all goes well.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/ostriches-emu-rheas.49/

My google search for "Emu diet" returned the following information: Emus eat a simple diet of fruits, seeds, growing shoots of plants and insects. They swallow small stones (called gastroliths or gizzard stones) which stay in the gizzard and help grind up food. They require a large amount of water, drinking 9-18 litres daily. Source: https://parkweb.vic.gov.au › __data › assets › pdf_file › emu4

Other websites pretty much echoed the above, and all stressed that they must have copious amounts of fresh water available to them around the clock, stating that they will awaken due to thirst several times nightly.

For some reason this site popped up when I asked the internet what Emus eat. Then I saw some other posts about Emus, so here I go also...

An Emu just wandered into my yard in southern Texas. What do they eat, please?
@Bothersome Bob Barber I'd look around your area for someone missing an emu.

My google search for "Emu diet" returned the following information: Emus eat a simple diet of fruits, seeds, growing shoots of plants and insects. They swallow small stones (called gastroliths or gizzard stones) which stay in the gizzard and help grind up food. They require a large amount of water, drinking 9-18 litres daily. Source: https://parkweb.vic.gov.au › __data › assets › pdf_file › emu4

Other websites pretty much echoed the above, and all stressed that they must have copious amounts of fresh water available to them around the clock, stating that they will awaken due to thirst several times nightly.

Ah... that's why he has set up shop by our bog.

Morning, BBB.

If your question was about long-term feeding, we'd get the U.S. incubators to advise. They are uber knowledgeable.
But for keeping one (1) emoo alive and well for a few weeks:

They love wheat and similar. Likewise muesli and 'ratite feed' and pretty much any carbs -- like your pasta salad.
They love and need fresh fruit and veg. Or dried fruit. Wonderfully, the test is dead easy: if it's Yummy for Emus, they'll scoff it up. If it's not, they won't.

Try chopped spinach -- any sort of greens.

But for your peace of mind, BBB: emooz in the wild do it hard at various times of year. And the males fast for seven weeks during incubation. So, while you Figure It Out, Emoo will be fine with any reasonable variety of food that it finds yummy.

If I may suggest, check its environs. They must be scrupulously free of shiny objects -- glass, nails, screws -- which it might also scoff down. And the fencing must be free of sharp projections.

[Got a wild male vocalising just near the house.]

Talk quietly to it. Move slowly and smoothly around it.

SE

Back
Top Bottom