Found hurt hen that fell off a chicken truck

CaseKel

Hatching
Feb 16, 2020
Late last night as we were driving home, I notice there was a few dead chickens on the side of the road. Sometimes during transport the doors of the catch boxes will come open and chickens escape. We found one still alive just standing on the side of the road and I made my husband go back and let me get it. She didnt try to run or anything. I think shes still kind of in shock.

both legs look good. She flapped both wings when I put her in a crate last night. Shes got some road rash on her side. The tip of her right wing is a mess.
20200216_125314.jpg
20200216_125500.jpg
So my question is what's the best way to treat? And how to do introduce her to my other 2 girls when she heals?

Late last night as we were driving home, I notice there was a few dead chickens on the side of the road. Sometimes during transport the doors of the catch boxes will come open and chickens escape. We found one still alive just standing on the side of the road and I made my husband go back and let me get it. She didnt try to run or anything. I think shes still kind of in shock.

both legs look good. She flapped both wings when I put her in a crate last night. Shes got some road rash on her side. The tip of her right wing is a mess. View attachment 2027741View attachment 2027744So my question is what's the best way to treat? And how to do introduce her to my other 2 girls when she heals?
Good for you on saving that hen! :celebrate
That's terrible to know that the doors come open. Hopefully she will heal quickly.
I live near a Tyson plant and have to close my eyes when a semi truck of birds goes by me in the car.

Vetericyn, Theracyn or a similar wound spray from a feed store is very easy to use on the road rash and wounds. Antibiotic ointment on the deeper scrape would be good after the wound spray. Leave them open to air and an old clean towel for nedding would be good. Can you get a small bag of chicken feed at your feed store? Do you have other chickens? Meat birds may overeat, and can suffer from leg and heart problems when they are of butchering age. Nice of you to help her or him out.

We found one still alive just standing on the side of the road and I made my husband go back and let me get it. She didnt try to run or anything.
Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

So kind of you and your hubby to stop and help that little fella! :highfive:

I agree cleaning it up and letting it heal is ideal. (I don't personally keep wound moist after initial cleaning and like to let a scab form.) :thumbsup

However, if you aren't prepared to keep a rooster... you might consider sending him to freezer camp now. What little comb and wattles I can see in you pics are indicative at the typical age broilers are processed. :hmm

He might be fun flock member, I haven't kept any Cornish Cross before. 18-20% starter, grower, or flock raiser is suggested. 18% *might* be better to keep growth slower for this breeds longevity but just having dark nights might help with that. Layer feed has too much calcium and could be harmful to kidneys long term for birds not in lay. This would also be okay for your ladies as long as you provide oyster shell or other calcium source on the side.

Best wishes! :fl

We have two other hens so we already had feed on hand. I'll look into poultry spray when I run to the store later. Thanks. :)

Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

So kind of you and your hubby to stop and help that little fella! :highfive:

I agree cleaning it up and letting it heal is ideal. (I don't personally keep wound moist after initial cleaning and like to let a scab form.) :thumbsup

However, if you aren't prepared to keep a rooster... you might consider sending him to freezer camp now. What little comb and wattles I can see in you pics are indicative at the typical age broilers are processed. :hmm

He might be fun flock member, I haven't kept any Cornish Cross before. 18-20% starter, grower, or flock raiser is suggested. 18% *might* be better to keep growth slower for this breeds longevity but just having dark nights might help with that. Layer feed has too much calcium and could be harmful to kidneys long term for birds not in lay. This would also be okay for your ladies as long as you provide oyster shell or other calcium source on the side.

Best wishes! :fl
Thanks for info on the feed.
I figure since it made it out of a truck heading to a processing plant we might as well give it a fair shot to live. We had a rooster given to us before that came from similar circumstances. He was pretty docile and this one seems to be so far. :fl

Back
Top Bottom