Found Injured Pekin dumped at local park

LazyBirds

Hatching
May 12, 2022
Hi! I'm reaching out in hopes that you guys may be able to help me! I have been going to a local park where I live for years and I feed the ducks and geese when I can. I noticed a couple days ago, a male pekin got dumped at the park and looked as if it had a limp. He doesn't put weight on the right leg at all and his left side is exhausted from the past couple of days of trying to live in the park. Today I decided to take him home because I think the rest of the park ducks would've bullied him to death. We were able to walk up to him, get the other ducks off of him and handle him without any effort. It's clear that he used to be someone's duck because he responds well to food bag noises and people.
I'm not really sure what else to do here because we have no avian vets in the area and the one I have visited is quite far and expensive. Any advice would be so appreciated, my heart is breaking for this guy and I just know he won't survive
without help any longer. I have some pics and video of him & have him currently set up in an infirmary in our back yard. We gave him nutri drench and electrolytes in his feed and water. He seems to be content just laying and not moving next to the water and feed.
I attached some pictures of his injury.
His leg doesn't feel deformed and I didn't see any swelling.

Attachments

• 20230310_184930.jpg
    20230310_184930.jpg
    312.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 20230310_184938.jpg
    20230310_184938.jpg
    335.6 KB · Views: 5
First I wanted to say thank you so much for saving this guy! Many people don’t get that “releasing them” is actually putting them in much more danger. Sometimes people just do it since they don’t want them anymore as well and simply don’t care. Can you get a picture of his legs next to each other? Did you check underneath for bumblefoot? He may have a niacin deficiency as well.

I would take some pictures of his feet, top and bottom. You are looking for any scabs that may be on them.

You will want to feel along it's legs and see if it feels warm. This could be a sign of infection or injury. Is any thing swollen on it's leg and feet? Can he fully move his leg or has he lost some motion for his leg? This will be easier to see in deep water. I would also feel to the left and right of his hock joint, and see if you feel a slipped tendon. It will feel like there is a string under the skin, if it has a slipped tendon.

Hopefully this will help narrow down what may be going on.

Also, that is really amazing that you rescued the Pekin. Thank you for caring.

Thank you for helping him
It breaks my heart when I see posts of dumped ducks
I would say same as others
Take more pics and feel the leg
Also if you can get him in the deep bath you will see if he moves that leg. Often if it’s sprain , twist , or even infection they will use it in water with the weight off of it

Bless you, for rescuing him. Do you have a safe place for him to sleep at night? It doesn't matter where we live there are predators about and at night they are very vulnerable to predation without a safe shelter.
As for what is going on with his leg. Good side by side pics and like @Quatie said check the bottom of his feet for bumble.
He is one blessed boy to have you take him in. ❤️

Back
Top Bottom