1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Found interesting egg

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by CardinalRidge, Mar 22, 2012.

1. CardinalRidge

CardinalRidge Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2012
    Richfield, NC
    I found this in with my chickens this morning. So... either my EE pullet has started laying by presenting me with a REALLY tiny egg, or a Robin somehow got in with my chickens. Hmmm.......[​IMG]

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Eeek! That is tiny. Sure does look like a robin's egg.

3. wildriverswolf90

wildriverswolf90 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    polk county, NC
    :eek: that is the tinest pullet egg I've ever seen!

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  4. fifibreen

fifibreen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2010
    Illinois
    How interesting! If it was a robin, I wonder how she felt when she sat on a giant nest with giant eggs. I guess you never know what your going to get in the nest box!

5. suzeqf

suzeqf Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    I don't think it was a robins egg but from one of your girls. What you have is a "fart egg" i've had 3 so far and almost went insane trying to figure out which of my banty laid it

fAlso known as a dwarf or wind egg, these eggs typically have no yolk(but the one's that i've gotten have had yolks). They’re caused by a piece of reproductive tissue breaking away, which in turn stimulates the egg production glands. These glands treat the mass as a yolk and begin forming an egg around it.(from city girl farming blog)

6. christineavatar

christineavatar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Bolinas, CA
    Is it fertile? I bet it would grow into an itty-bitty chicken!

7. grandmasgals

grandmasgals Out Of The Brooder

Last ummer I got one that was tinier than my pinkie nail.
    I cooked it with a regular size egg (fried) and it was fully formed. The yolk was about 3/4 the size of a sesame seed. Served it to my husband for breakfast that morning with bacon and toast! He got a chuckle.

8. countrychicken00

countrychicken00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2010
    Oregon
    Acually, I used to have a chicken who sometimes would lay like that. Even though she barley did it. I asked my mom why the egg was so little, and she said it was a little egg chickens sometimes lay and there will problably be no yolk in it. Its might be one of those eggs.
    They do that because sometimes when they lay an egg, they left a little extra behind so they lay a tiny little egg with no yolk.

9. Desirai

Desirai Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2011
    Alabama
    Wow!! My first thought was it's a robin egg! But maybe not. Wow if it were a fertile chicken egg that chicken would be TINY!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by