Found nest of stolen eggs outside my chicken run

What confuses me is the soiled condition of the eggs. Stolen nests seldom belong to multiple hens. However these eggs seem to be very soiled or else they are heavily mottled. Also the nest depression is incongruous with a normal hen nest. How sure are you that your hens laid these eggs, and how sure are you that some neighboring scamp is not pulling the down (or wool) over your eyes. I am assuming that is mud on the eggs but correct me if it is not.

Last edited:
Any chance of incubating them so we can see what pops out? This is getting interesting. Maybe the mama departed this world a short time ago, when out stretching her legs. Do you have a game cam you could point at that spot and see what, if anything comes back? Any feral hens in your area?

Yes we have a game cam, but I can only view from my husband's computer which will return in a month! They are eggs from my Pullets, at this point I just want to khow they got there!

At least you're sure they're chicken eggs and you won't have a gator turtle or some other wilding come looking for them
big_smile.png

Let us know how your investigation turns out.

Last edited:
Since I originally asked the question, I have found a clutch of eggs in my flower bed outside the coop, and inside my fenced in garden. Apparently one of my Americaunas started laying early and has been flying out of the chicken yard to lay her eggs. Thanks to those of you that puzzled over this with me!

Back
Top Bottom