Found our first egg!! IN THE YARD........

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TallJ, Nov 27, 2013.

1. TallJ

TallJ Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2013
    I am super excited that we FINALLY had our first egg from our first flock ever!!!BUT instead of in the coop it was outside next to the house! I have been 'eggpecting' our first egg for the past couple weeks. The girls are 23 weeks old. We have a dozen girls, but there are a few I can't tell apart! At least one of the Black Australorps has been squatting down if you come up behind her for a couple weeks. It is really neat because we have been able to pet her. The thing is, IDK if it is BOTH of the BAs, or just one. I can't tell them apart.
    I heard a ruckus of cackling about a week ago, but found nothing when I went outside to the girls. Today I heard it again and went out and found TWO eggs along the foundation! IDK if just one girl laid them this morning, or if she laid one yesterday and one today.

I have straw in the nest boxes, I leave them in the coop till after 8 am. They free range and forage during the day. I am thinking I will 'sacrifice' the new eggs and put them in the nest boxes to encourage them to lay in there?? Maybe leave them in the coop till 9 am?

Should I expect them all to start laying soon, or are some breeds slower than others? I thought they would all be laying by now, but no such luck.

I have:
    2 Black Australorps
    3 Buff Orpingtons
    2 White Rocks
    3 Rhode Island Reds
    1 Easter Egger
    1 Barred Rock

Are any of these breeds 'slow' to lay? Or maybe won't start now since it is cold??

Any other suggestions? I don't really want to keep them ALL locked in the coop for the whole day because they are used to wandering all day and foraging.

[​IMG]

2. 3chickchicks

3chickchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2013
    N. Texas
    I've got some just starting to lay as well. 8am may be too early.

I keep mine locked up until 11am. I heard noise as well and had to coax her to the nest. Once she saw it, she went right in and laid. She laid about 10am. When they consistently lay in the nest for two weeks, I'll let them out in the morning and feel confident they'll be good about returning to the nest box.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Congrats on the eggs! Cold doesn't affect their egg laying, but the short daylight hours does. They will start laying as their bodies are ready, and it may take longer than normal with the shorter days.

4. TallJ

TallJ Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2013
    Actually the biggest problem is my guineas. They usually roost in the trees, but raise a ruckus until the coop has been opened and their chicken buddies are out. Maybe it will just be loud for a few days!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by