1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Found out my "rat" was a possum!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Pet Duck Boy, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Pet Duck Boy

Pet Duck Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    For the past month my trusty brittany spaniel/beagle mix has been acting strange at night. Usually very agitated, and he would constantly go to the bathroom in this one particular spot every night. I had always thought it was a rat. But the snap traps I set were always sprung, but the bait was missing. Last night though, he wanted to go outside bad. Growling and whining, I knew something was up so I told him to get the "squirrel" which pretty much means chase whatever isn't supposed to be in the yard. So I let him out, and he ran. Ran ran ran! It was dark out so I couldn't see what he was chasing, but I've never seen that 13 year old fart run that fast in years. He eventually stopped at a tree, barking and growling and sniffing the air. I got the flash-light and the hose and went to see what was up there. With the flashlight on, I immediately saw a grimy little face peering down at me, hissing and snarling. A possum, blech. Though smallish, I wasn't going to take the chance of letting this thing grow up into a chicken killer. With the hose, I sprayed him straight in the nostrils. Told my dog to bark, and banged on the fence. I gave the thing 20 minutes of noisy watery hell. Eventually, he fell of the tree soaking wet and shivering and my dog chased him away. Hopefully, with a good scare, it won't come back. But it's better a possum than a raccoon!

2. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:Yuck-o! Those are some gnarly little predators. I think they're just as offensive as raccoons, although not as crafty! I wouldn't be surprised if he returned.

3. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Pet Duck Boy: I'll be curious if your technique works. Keep us updated and good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by