Found pigeon

Little duck farm

Chirping
Apr 11, 2018
So we had a pigeon show up at our farm and it is part of the Canadian racing pigeon union lol so we got ahold of the owner and he ask us to feed it pop corn for 3 days then let it go in town and it will fly back home. But I’m curious what else should I be feeding it besides pop corn? I don’t want to kill this bird right now it is in a dog crate with water popcorn and some of our GMO duck feed. What else can it eat etc.

So we had a pigeon show up at our farm and it is part of the Canadian racing pigeon union lol so we got ahold of the owner and he ask us to feed it pop corn for 3 days then let it go in town and it will fly back home. But I’m curious what else should I be feeding it besides pop corn? I don’t want to kill this bird right now it is in a dog crate with water popcorn and some of our GMO duck feed. What else can it eat etc.
You can add a seed mixture like for wild birds to the corn or a special pigeon and dove mix from a pet shop. You are giving the popcorn un-popped, correct? Make sure the water container is at least an inch deep since they use their beaks like a straw. Pigeons also like raw unsalted peanuts, safflower seeds, sunflower hearts, maple or field peas, and a variety of small seeds. Thanks for helping this bird!:thumbsup

How far is the owner of this pigeon from you??? Somehow I get the VIBES that he does not REALLY CARE if pigeon returns or not. JMO

But :hugsto you for taking care of this pigeon,,

You can add a seed mixture like for wild birds to the corn or a special pigeon and dove mix from a pet shop. You are giving the popcorn un-popped, correct? Make sure the water container is at least an inch deep since they use their beaks like a straw. Pigeons also like raw unsalted peanuts, safflower seeds, sunflower hearts, maple or field peas, and a variety of small seeds. Thanks for helping this bird!:thumbsup
I popped the pop corn? But today I’m going to our local feed store to get some mix for the bird

How far is the owner of this pigeon from you??? Somehow I get the VIBES that he does not REALLY CARE if pigeon returns or not. JMO

But :hugsto you for taking care of this pigeon,,
It’s about a 2 hour drive to where the birds home is. Do you think that is to far for it to fly home? He says it should remember how to get there

I popped the pop corn? But today I’m going to our local feed store to get some mix for the bird
I've only heard of them being fed corn kernels.
It’s about a 2 hour drive to where the birds home is. Do you think that is to far for it to fly home? He says it should remember how to get there
100 miles is not too far for a healthy bird to fly in a few hours.

Don't pop the pop corn!!!

They eat it unpopped lol.

It will eat the duck food also, and any seeds / grains.

Once its rested and is active and flighty (after it gets its rest and energy back) you can take it outside and release it.

That distance is not too far for it to get home.

It probably got too tired and crashed landed out of 'fuel'. Once back to rested and fed it will be wanting to continue on its way home.

Just check is over for injuries from a hawk, cat, or collision with something, and make sure it can fly properly, and its got muscles (not skin and feathers) before you free it.

Very good of you to take the time to help the bird!!!!

Back
Top Bottom