Found Rabbit

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by sandygreen, Aug 7, 2009.

1. sandygreen

sandygreen Hatching

Jan 3, 2009
    Virginia
    My aunt found a rabbit at her home. It was a tame rabbit. So now it is here at my home. Probblem is rabbit has seed ticks, fleas and a weeble worm ( Spelled wrong). Does any one know how to rid the rabbit of these things? It is a real nice rabbit. Do not know why people turn tame animals loose. PLease tell me how to help this rabbit with these things. ASASP.
    Thanks
    Sandy

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Songster

Apr 13, 2009
    Ohio
    Is there a vet around you that knows rabbits? I know you can use something like Advantage for cats on the rabbit but I can't remember which brand it is. Also you could use Safeguard for internal parasites. I believe it is 1cc per 5 pounds.

3. buck-wild-chick

buck-wild-chick Songster

Jul 24, 2008
    Hamilton C. FL
    The rabbit needs terramycin to kill off the parasites.You put it in there water,Should be a dosage on the back.You should be able to get it at TSC or feed stores.

4. PitterPaws

PitterPaws Songster

Nov 29, 2007
    Wisconsin
    also get a flea comb! it will work great to rid the bunny of fleas and ticks. They have a flea tick spray at larger pet stores that you spray right on the bunny.
    as for the worms I'm not sure.
    I also would suggest finding a bunny vet.
    Good Luck and post pictures please

5. RabbitMage

RabbitMage Songster

Mar 27, 2009
    Terramycin is an antibiotic, it won't kill parasites.

We use Ivermectin on our rabbits but I don't have the exact dosage handy. In a case like this it would be safest to confer with a vet, especially about removing the 'weeble worm' (bot fly larva?).

6. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

A friend of mine who runs a rehab had someone call her and ask her to pick up a rabbit he'd found in its yard. She was at work so she asked me to pick it up for her. I picked up a big tame WHITE rabbit that had been "released into the wild" [​IMG] apparently b/c it had a horrendous case of ear mites / scales in the ears. They were infected and stunk unbelievably... [​IMG] I took it to the vet and they gave it a dose of Revolution. It cleared up the ear mites quickly, it also kills fleas and does not hurt rabbits. Rabbits are VERY sensitive to many chemicals that don't hurt cats, chickens, birds, etc. so never use anything on a rabbit that you're not CERTAIN is safe for rabbits!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: