Found something in their poop

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Iziayia, Mar 30, 2018.

1. Iziayia

Iziayia Chirping

Oct 2, 2014
    Ottawa, On
    Anyone known what these strange brown lumps are? I found them in the chickens (or turkey/duck/goose) poop from last year (thawing out from under the snow now) but it's only in some of the pools and not all of the ones I saw. Just want to make sure it's not something bad like an internal pest or so.

IMG_4612.JPG IMG_4613.JPG

tootmany likes this.
  2. Flockandfowl46

Flockandfowl46 Crowing

Mar 28, 2018
    Southwest Virginia USA
    I'm no expert but it almost looks like some kind of undigested seed pods like pits of cherries or a berry?

3. Chickassan

Chickassan Wattle Fondler

Almost looks like aquarium rocks or pea gravel to me. Definitely not anything sinister or buggy.

4. orrpeople

orrpeople Grading essays - be back soon!

Jun 15, 2016
    State of Jefferson
    I think it looks like scat from another animal entirely... Are these from an enclosed run, or one where other critters have access?

Flockandfowl46 likes this.
  5. Iziayia

Iziayia Chirping

Oct 2, 2014
    Ottawa, On
    These poops are outside in a fenced pasture (with pond) where I only had poultry last year and we level three years ago with a bulldozer (and fence two years ago). They are around the door area so more concentrated but I didn't check if poops in other parts looked the same, but from what I saw it wasn't all only some of them. I wish I knew which birds they were from at least I could narrow it down more.

I wouldn't know what it is if it was seeds or whatnot. I didn't feed them anything other then the 'usual' - which consists of their mash diet and some wheat here and there but this isn't wheat. Treats usually consist of lettuce, bread or sometimes veggies but nothing I wouldn't recognize the seed of.

6. Iziayia

Iziayia Chirping

Oct 2, 2014
    Ottawa, On
    Update... so it does seem to be seeds but they are literally everywhere (not necessarily in poop - found some in a leftover 'feed pile') - they couldn't possibly be grass or clover right? I don't recognize it :/

Attached Files:

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Cut one open?

8. tigger19687

tigger19687 Songster

Do you have trees with seed pods? They look kinda big

Stephine likes this.
  9. chickenE