Found something weird in the coop! Help!

yasmin817

In the Brooder
May 19, 2015
Found this in the ladies coop this afternoon. I was thinking it was a soft egg, but when I cut it open, it looks like a ham and cheese wrap. Any ideas?

That's exactly what it looks like! What does it smell like? I'd say someone was trying to feed your chickens. If not, I've seen some weird eggs when they first start laying. It could be one of those as well.

Found this in the ladies coop this afternoon. I was thinking it was a soft egg, but when I cut it open, it looks like a ham and cheese wrap. Any ideas?
I'm not sure what that is but I'm pretty sure that if I knew I'd be a little less grossed out.
1f61d.png

Thanks all! The lash egg theory sounds pretty legit. I adopted my ladies from a family that couldn't keep them anymore because the neighbors were complaining and I'm a sucker for rescues! They also didn't seem like very educated people and couldn't tell me the exact age or breed of the girls. They are very friendly and healthy so I was happy to give them a new home. We've had them for about a month now and I'm starting to get the hang of their routines. From what I can tell, I have 2 cinnamon queen sex links, a new hampshire red, and a blue andalusian. Most of the time, I get 2 brown eggs every day, some days I get one. I'm pretty sure they are from the sexlinks because I have found their feathers on the eggs. The little grey hen lays little white eggs only on hot days, so my bet on the old hen is the new hampshire. Is there any way to tell age? I'm a first time chicken owner, so I was pretty alarmed when I found this. Any other advice from seasoned chicken owners is most welcomed!

Just read a bunch of articles that say a lash egg is caused by a bacterial/fungal infection that typically causes the death of the hen. My girls aren't acting sick. Should I be worried?

It's a lash egg. Usually produced by older hens towards the end of their egg production time. It's a sign that the reproductive organs are no longer functioning properly.

I agree, it's a lash egg. They can be caused by illness but usually they are age related and appear near the end of a hen's egg laying life.

- Krista

Back
Top Bottom