Found the stinky culprit!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by babsh, Apr 3, 2009.

1. babsh

babsh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    I complained a few days ago about my bator stinking. I removed 3 quitters (actually, i think I screwed up. i think one of them was not dead : () and it still smelled. Today, we candled them and one of them clearly smelled. It was one i had thought was viable because there was large, dark spot. Now that we are on day 9, i could clearly see that this dark blob is VERY different from any of the viable eggs I have. It's like half the egg is this black (cannot see through it at all) blob that ooozes around when i turn the egg. Clearly something wrong.

Thanks for the help. I think the mystery is solved.

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    [​IMG] I must tell you about my rotten egg story now.

I had a hen sitting on eggs last year and when I walked into the coop, I smelled the smell of a very rotten egg. So, the only way I could tell which one was rotten was pick each of them up and smell them. After a few eggs, I found it. It was awful - enough to gag a maggot. I felt the egg sloshing around on the inside. So, my smart self decided to put it up to my ear and slosh it around some more.

IT EXPLODED! I had greenish yellow rotten egg and egg shell on the side of my face, in my hair, and inside of my ear.

I ran out of the coop and washed it off when the garden hose and when I walked in the house, my husband said, "Gosh, sugar, you stink!"

That was awful. Lesson learned.
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
  3. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007

Glad you wrote this...I would have done the same thing! You probably saved me from getting an ear infection some day! [​IMG]
  4. babsh

babsh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008

I guess I'll have to find a way of disposing of it. Hadn't considered that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by