1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Found the stinky culprit!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by babsh, Apr 3, 2009.

1. babsh

babsh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    Minnesota
    I complained a few days ago about my bator stinking. I removed 3 quitters (actually, i think I screwed up. i think one of them was not dead : () and it still smelled. Today, we candled them and one of them clearly smelled. It was one i had thought was viable because there was large, dark spot. Now that we are on day 9, i could clearly see that this dark blob is VERY different from any of the viable eggs I have. It's like half the egg is this black (cannot see through it at all) blob that ooozes around when i turn the egg. Clearly something wrong.

Thanks for the help. I think the mystery is solved.

Barb

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    [​IMG] I must tell you about my rotten egg story now.

I had a hen sitting on eggs last year and when I walked into the coop, I smelled the smell of a very rotten egg. So, the only way I could tell which one was rotten was pick each of them up and smell them. After a few eggs, I found it. It was awful - enough to gag a maggot. I felt the egg sloshing around on the inside. So, my smart self decided to put it up to my ear and slosh it around some more.

POP!!!

IT EXPLODED! I had greenish yellow rotten egg and egg shell on the side of my face, in my hair, and inside of my ear.

I ran out of the coop and washed it off when the garden hose and when I walked in the house, my husband said, "Gosh, sugar, you stink!"

That was awful. Lesson learned.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
  3. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    [​IMG]

Glad you wrote this...I would have done the same thing! You probably saved me from getting an ear infection some day! [​IMG]

4. babsh

babsh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    Minnesota
    Quote:eww!

I guess I'll have to find a way of disposing of it. Hadn't considered that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by