found this a little odd...

sangel4you

Songster
10 Years
Apr 11, 2009
Halifax, Pennsylvania
So this is weird and maybe I am just grasping but here goes anyway:
There was a storm in the area at 530pm tonight. at around 630 I went to fill the chickens water and say good evening. I wasnt too surprised since it was still gray out etc that they were all already up in the roost when I got there even tho they dodnt usually roost until around 8. However by the time I got the door open my one girl who happens to be my one and only that has a huge red comb and wattles for the last two weeks(and has been squatting for some days) came out to greet me and get a bite to eat while I filled the water. I was somewhat surprised none of the others followed but I took a peek and they were all fine up on the roost. However after I filled everything and picked her up to give her a little love I put her down expecting her to go back to roost. She ate a few more bites and then came to the corner of the pen watching me leave and bawking quite a bit. Yet still noone came to join her and she didnt go back up. I left after that, but it's been bugging me all evening...what was she up to and why wasnt she with the "flock" like normal?

p.s. I did do a quick egg look and saw none lying around... hmmmm

ETA: I was there a good 5 to 8 minutes probably that she was out and noone else even attempted to join nor she to join them. So its not like it was a second or two...

Last edited:
That happens. I've got a few that are more independent than the others and a few that fear nothing (which worries me)

Don't let it bother you.

Last edited:
We do have one brown star that the rooster just can't round up. She's also the one that "talks" to me the most. Many evenings she's still out enjoying the night air when we go to close up and we just stick her in the pop door and close up. She then goes to the roost without a squabble.

now to me it sounded more like she just wanted visit with you.
big_smile.png

I have a few that no matter what I am doing in the coop , they want to be either on my arm or on my shoulder, I even have one that everyone says it thinks its a buggie or something.
lau.gif

This little one will climb my jeans to get my attention, or jumb up on my arm and climb to my shoulder to snuggle up to my neck. she ( I hope its a she ) gets upset when I put her down. Its too cute, hubby figures the whole flock would follow me around the yard if I let them.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
If You Can Dream It .... You Can Do It

mom to 2 boys, ( and a great hubby that will let me build anything I want )
big_smile.png
1 cat , 2 dogs, 7 rock whites, 2 dark cornish, 6 rir, 2 barred rocks, 3 black australorps, and a huge tank of fish

Thats true! I never thought of that...
I was just unsure of what to think since her hormones are all out of whack right now I didnt know if it was causing funny behaviors or not!

Back
Top Bottom