Found this growth- what is it?

Ok guys I’m pretty concerned. It looks like it’s been leaking fluid and it was mostly hard. I tried softening up the horn with a warm compress but it did not help much so I wasn’t able to remove it that way. I noticed the underside was already starting to detach, leaving raw flesh. When I gently pulled it, it began to detach even more so I just went ahead and sliced the other end off. Now there is a gaping hole that looks like raw chicken. I cleaned it and put neosporin on it but I’m afraid of infection. Im trying to upload the video but it only lets me select photos? Sorry it wasn’t Dr. Pimple Popper worthy! 😆

Attachments

• IMG_3179.jpeg
    IMG_3179.jpeg
    523.9 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_3178.jpeg
    IMG_3178.jpeg
    537 KB · Views: 44
To post a video, you have to upload to another host, like youtube, and put the link here, then it can be seen. All that that came off, looks like pus to me. I'm still leaning towards a feather cyst. I would cut open that mass, see what's inside. Take pictures. Looking at the tissue underneath, it does not look like it was a tumor or growth. I would treat it like any other wound, keep it clean, keep applying the ointment as needed to keep it covered and moist, let it heal. If you see any signs of infection you can get amoxicillin as a fish antibiotic without a prescription online, many sources, look for Fish Mox or Aqua Mox.

To post a video, you have to upload to another host, like youtube, and put the link here, then it can be seen. All that that came off, looks like pus to me. I'm still leaning towards a feather cyst. I would cut open that mass, see what's inside. Take pictures. Looking at the tissue underneath, it does not look like it was a tumor or growth. I would treat it like any other wound, keep it clean, keep applying the ointment as needed to keep it covered and moist, let it heal. If you see any signs of infection you can get amoxicillin as a fish antibiotic without a prescription online, many sources, look for Fish Mox or Aqua Mox.
Agreed.
Good instructions for taking care of the wound as always.

I think it looks like a plug of pus too. It will be interesting to see what's inside of it.

Don't be afraid of the resulting lesion. Clean it well, remove everything that looks like waxy pus. But look for a feather follicle in the center that may be looped and growing back into the tissue. Like an ingrown hair follicle, feathers sometimes get stuck and don't emerge fully, forming instead a loop that turns and grows back into the tissue. This results in inflammation and over time, pus forms around the inflamed tissue, resulting in a cyst. I'm betting this one has been doing its perverse thing for many months.

It's important to make sure you've found this ingrown feather or it will prevent this from healing.

Oh shoot ok I probably wouldn’t be able to upload the video then. I got rid of it and didn’t cut it open. Thank you for the suggestion. I will keep an eye on it and keep it clean and covered and hopefully it will heal properly! 🤞

All the pimple/alien jokes aside, I hope your hen heals up completely for you, please keep us updated... Read that as stick around here. This is a great group with tons of info and people ready to help at a moment's notice.

Good luck to you and your hen.

Back
Top Bottom