Found this growth- what is it?

wintermoon

In the Brooder
Oct 20, 2023
Easter egger, one year old. No unusual behavior. Noticed this growth on her shoulder today while she was out free ranging. Anyone know what it could be or how to treat at home? No unusual signs in my other hens other than losing feathers (assuming due to the season change).

Attachments

• IMG_3082.jpeg
    IMG_3082.jpeg
    663.9 KB · Views: 293
Can you post more pictures and give us some more info? Is the growth hot? Is it hard or squishy? Is this bird in a run or free range? Does she live with many other chickens or poultry?
I will try to catch her again to take more pics and do a better investigation. She free ranges and goes into a coop at night. There are 12 other chickens.

The tip of the horn is hard and crusty. The end of it is soft and rubbery and is filled with a milky white fluid. It was not hot. Here are some more pics.

Attachments

• IMG_3105.jpeg
    IMG_3105.jpeg
    441.9 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_3106.jpeg
    IMG_3106.jpeg
    519.4 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_3107.jpeg
    IMG_3107.jpeg
    553.2 KB · Views: 175
Welcome to BYC. There can be some tumors in chickens such as squamous cell carcinoma and keratoacanthoma that may be common. How long has it been noticeable on her skin? Does it seem to bother her?
Thank you! I just noticed it today, the horn started protruding through her feathers which caught my attention. It did not bother her at all whenever I touched it.

The tip of the horn is hard and crusty. The end of it is soft and rubbery and is filled with a milky white fluid. It was not hot.
You can tell it's filled with fluid?
I wonder if it's a feather cyst, but can't be sure very well could be cancer or keratin growth as suggested.

I'd like to see what @azygous and @coach723 thoughts are as well.

To me, the bumblefoot looks fairly minor and I agree with @Eggcessive , if her feet are not bothering her, I'd just monitor the feet while you concentrate on the growth for now.

Back
Top Bottom