Found this near broken egg after worming -- WHAT is THAT?!

Good find Robin, from the description and photos it does seem like it could be an ovary. Oh man, not good
sad.png
I will keep you updated on what happens. Thanks so much for helping

I've seen pictures of ovaries of various animals before including humans, and that very much does look like an ovary with part of the oviduct attached.

The chicken that dropped it may not lay any more eggs. Kinda cool that their bodies expel diseased organs that aren't working. Wish we could do that. We could put a lot of surgeons out of work. LOL.

I thought it looked (inside at least) a lot like a heart because of the "chambers" or even a liver because of the tissue texture. I did read a lot of descriptions of dropped ovaries and other random nest box finds and strangely, most mentioned the horrible smell of these objects. That usually has to do with the infections that the hens had experienced at some point which caused the expulsion of the ovary. But this object had no smell and I had to laugh at myself for sniffing this bizarre thing that came out of a hens backside!

PS - the thing was found at midday onto top of 3 other eggs so I doubt a predator brought it in -- my first thought was that I thought it looked like an eyeball!! Ick too many horror movies
pop.gif

Its driving me crazy too!-I really want to know what that is????? It looks like beetroot inside-was the liquid in it blood? Does anyone know any vets who could take a look online?Would love to find out what it is????????
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom