Found this on my duck's leg... she seems to be hurting

mrdelurk

Chirping
Jul 25, 2020
I noticed that my duck seems to be hurting. Upon closer examination, I found two bubbles forming on her legs. The bubble on the right leg has a black “head” hanging out which seems rubbery. Anyone knows what this is, and what I need to do about it?
DuckLeg1.jpg
DuckLeg2.jpg
DuckLeg3.jpg

I agree that it's likely Bumblefoot, however, just to be sure, and so we can better see the severity could you wash the area off with some water, and post a few pictures so we can see the scab?

From the pictures provided, we're only able to see the top side.

I agree that it's likely Bumblefoot, however, just to be sure, and so we can better see the severity could you wash the area off with some water, and post a few pictures so we can see the scab?
We did, but my antique digital camera doesn't excel at very close range, even in macro mode. I'll attach the photos anyway
DuckLeg4.JPG
DuckLeg5.JPG

I find it odd the swelling is parallel to each other. It does appear there is an inflammatory response going on in the tissue, likely indicating some sort of infection. Ducks are prone to developing sores on their feet due to their heavyweight. The chance of sores developing can be increased by keeping them on hard, compacted, dirty grounds.

Their footpads often can get sore, and worn, and eventually bacteria/dirt can get inside the foot, and cause infection. If not cared for the infection may move further up their leg and cause septic arthritis, or bone infection (osteomyelitis).

The rubber-like part you noticed, is the core, and it's often bacteria-filled and needs to be taken out to prevent further infection. To do that, soak the foot in warm Epsom salts for a few days to loosen the area up, then once loose, try to gently peel the scab off with a pair of tweezers, and if needed use a scalpel to help cut away the tissue. Once the scab is out, wash it with some water, and apply either an antibacterial ointment or a cream like sulfadiazine. Then you'll need to wrap the foot with some gauze, and bandage. The bandage will need to remain on until the tissue heals back up, or reinfection will likely occur.

Take into consideration what can cause these sores, and note that, when designing your setup for the birds.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/wrapping-feet.1255043/

Thank you, Isaac 0. What is the correct method to soak this lady duck's foot for a few days? She usually walks around our grassy yard all day long. Do we need to restrain or confine her in some way?

Thank you, Isaac 0. What is the correct method to soak this lady duck's foot for a few days? She usually walks around our grassy yard all day long. Do we need to restrain or confine her in some way?

You can hold her in a bathtub, but that might be too laborious. You may try filling a kiddie pool with warm water, only a few inches high, and wrap fencing around the perimeter so she can't out.

You can hold her in a bathtub, but that might be too laborious. You may try filling a kiddie pool with warm water, only a few inches high, and wrap fencing around the perimeter so she can't out.
Does her legs need to soak for a long time? Knowing her, she'll drink from the kiddie pool water when she gets thirsty, unless someone stands by to prevent it.

Preferably for a while, to loosen the core up. Just use plain water if that's the case.
Plain water, deal. We have actually an unused real pool I could put her in. She won't be able to come out alone, (at least, not easily) the water level is so low, 6 ft down from the edges. Something my GF just mentioned is, nail techs rub half a lemon first, then put vaseline to soften up nails before working on those. Could this work to loosen the core up in this case? Another thing I have is a CVS "Pain Relieving Antiseptic Spray" with 2.5% Lidocaine HCl that might work (or not?) as a partial analgesic for the pain of core removal.

Back
Top Bottom