Found turtle in winter!

Could be in deep hibernation. They often look dead. Of course it might really be dead, but I've seen their heads out on the ground and sworn they were gone, and 20 minutes later, they move again. Either way, unless you're totally certain, probably best to leave it quietly in its box and talk to a wildlife rescue if that's an option.

Treatment would be the same if a gopher or box. However, if it were a gopher tortoise, they're protected, and you need a permit to relocate it (in this case, picking it up and bringing it into your home--that's illegal with a gopher tortoise).

But no worries: height of the shell, patterning on shell and feet, size of the turtle, face shape, all make this appear to be, very clearly, a box turtle. If you have any doubt (or care to confirm), gently turn the poor thing over and check for a hinge or line across the plastron/bottom of the shell. Box turtles can snap themselves shut in defense using this hinge. Gophers don't have that.

My creds are that I had an informal turtle rescue years ago in north FL, but if in doubt, there are plenty of online sources that are better for turtles than BYC, as much as I adore BYC! Kudos for your kindness.

Could be in deep hibernation. They often look dead. Of course it might really be dead, but I've seen their heads out on the ground and sworn they were gone, and 20 minutes later, they move again. Either way, unless you're totally certain, probably best to leave it quietly in its box and talk to a wildlife rescue if that's an option.

Treatment would be the same if a gopher or box. However, if it were a gopher tortoise, they're protected, and you need a permit to relocate it (in this case, picking it up and bringing it into your home--that's illegal with a gopher tortoise).

But no worries: height of the shell, patterning on shell and feet, size of the turtle, face shape, all make this appear to be, very clearly, a box turtle. If you have any doubt (or care to confirm), gently turn the poor thing over and check for a hinge or line across the plastron/bottom of the shell. Box turtles can snap themselves shut in defense using this hinge. Gophers don't have that.

My creds are that I had an informal turtle rescue years ago in north FL, but if in doubt, there are plenty of online sources that are better for turtles than BYC, as much as I adore BYC! Kudos for your kindness.
Thank you! He maybe in a deep sleep.

Back
Top Bottom